Executing Child Workflows - CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a parent workflow that determines whether a queue item has entered in a queue. If it has then it will fire a child workflow to work on that queue item.

When I set up the parent workflow I check the box  "Start when: Record is created"

When I set up the child workflow do I need to check this box "Start when: Record is created" as well? I am under the impression that if I check the box "Available to run: As a child process" and set up the parent to fire off this child workflow then I will NOT have to check "Record is created" box?

Also, does the child workflow inherit the primary entity of the parent workflow? I need the child workflow to operate on the queue item entity form the parent workflow.

• Edited by Stanley_Lai Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:34 PM

Answers

• Your current configuration is correct.

The child workflow will only be triggered by the parent workflow and there is no automatic triggering required based on the record changes so that you will only need to check the box "Available to run: As a child process".

You can trigger the child workflow for the same record as well as the related record of one level above (which means the lookup values in the current record). So, short answer, "Yes".

• Marked as answer by Stanley_Lai Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:33 AM

All replies

• Your current configuration is correct.

The child workflow will only be triggered by the parent workflow and there is no automatic triggering required based on the record changes so that you will only need to check the box "Available to run: As a child process".

You can trigger the child workflow for the same record as well as the related record of one level above (which means the lookup values in the current record). So, short answer, "Yes".

• Marked as answer by Stanley_Lai Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

Just to wanted to add here, you need to keep in mind while implementing your requirement, that workflow runs in an asyn manner so it may be both are in execution at same time.

HTH

Our Website | Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:38 AM