cannot connect to windows home server console RRS feed

• Question

• I have the HP MediaSmart Server EX-470. I had read that there was a new update for it. Well my software would never detect it, so I downloaded it, logged remotely into my server and then ran the update there. I rebooted the server and since then I have not been able to connect through the Home Console.

I have done a hard boot of the server and my pc several times. The health status indicator is a solid red once the server is completely booted. On my pc, the home server icon displays as green.

I can connect through remote desktop to the server, I can copy files to the explorer folders. I just cannot log in through the console.

When I log into the home server remotely and I try to launch the console here, it will try to open and just closes. I get a message saying that the backup services is not running and to reboot. I looked at the services and it appears to me that all home server related processes are running. I have rebooted this machine and it makes no difference.

I thought about uninstalling the HP MediaSmart R-1 release, but wonder if the damage is done. Anyway I have not tried the windows toolkit yet to see if it provides more detail. Just wondered if anyone has experienced this issue. I am not a real guru on networking things. I haven't modified any of the default settings. I just installed the update at the server since it would not detect that the patch was even available.

thanks

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you should never download and install something directly on your home server, especially on headless devices like the HP this can cause unnice trouble.

Please login via Remote Desktop and check the event log for related error messages. Maybe this gives a hint, what is causing the console to crash and eliminate this. If this does not help to do further diagnostics it may be necessary to go as far as uninstall and later reinstall Power Pack 1.

In case this also does not help, your last option is to perform a server recovery.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:09 PM