none
Two Sticky Suggestions

Question

• If you are viewing more than one forum, the Sticky threads are mercifully absent, only being present if you view a single forum. But some forums have a lot of Sticky threads, which take up much of the first page.

Two suggestions:

1. Why not treat the Sticky threads like the Announcements, so that they would only be displayed on clicking a button?

2. The Sticky threads are rarely of general ongoing interest, but if someone replies to a Sticky thread then that thread is displayed at the top of the thread list (if ordered by last post). When viewing a single forum, that thread now takes up two slots on the page. I suggest to never display Sticky threads in the general thread display; rather if you want to view or reply to a Sticky thread, then you should do it by selecting a single forum and using the Sticky list.

These comments were motivated by the situation in the reportabug forum which, between off-topic posts and responses to Sticky threads, will sometimes contain zero posts of any real relevance.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

• Edited by davewilk Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:46 PM typos
    Monday, September 9, 2013 2:44 PM

All replies

• I agree that the sticky threads should not appear with the other threads in chronological order (so they appear twice). There is no value in that. However, I would not want to hide sticky threads so they are only seen with extra effort. Most are meant to inform new users about the purpose of the forum, where to get answers to similar questions, how to ask questions, etc. We want new or infrequent users to see these. It is unfortunate that many never do (since they often are viewing multiple forums when they ask questions).

The "Forums Issues" forum is admittedly a problem. There are sticky threads for reporting spam, verifying accounts, fixing broken threads, etc. But even these are intended to prevent unnecessary posts and expedite things. I agree it is unfortunate that there are so many. However, it would help if all threads took up less space. All threads used to take up 3 lines. Now most take up 6 lines.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:18 PM