System Administrator Undeliverable RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am getting hundreds of email messages from "System Administrator" which say "Undeliverable."  It then list some message to somone I do not know and did not send an email to.  The email addresses seem to all be different.  One Care has found no virus or spyware.  It is obviously missing something.  Has anyone else reported this problem?  Any solutions?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:53 PM

Answers

• What has happened is that a spammer is using your email address as the From or Reply To address in outbound spam messages that are bouncing back to your address. This should stop soon, but in the meantime it is annoying. Simply delete the bounced messages as the ISPs who are bouncing them are rather archaic in that the headers of the inbound message would clearly show that the addresses are forged and that the messages themselves are spam.

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:52 PM

All replies

• What has happened is that a spammer is using your email address as the From or Reply To address in outbound spam messages that are bouncing back to your address. This should stop soon, but in the meantime it is annoying. Simply delete the bounced messages as the ISPs who are bouncing them are rather archaic in that the headers of the inbound message would clearly show that the addresses are forged and that the messages themselves are spam.

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:52 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem:  hundreds of System Administrator and Mail Delivery Subsystem e-mails.  However, the problem has gone on for days.  Is there another solution other than waiting?   Is there any kind of spam filter that will weed these out at the server level?  Or any way to stop the spammer from using my e-mail to begin with?   Thank you.
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Morris, there's no other way to deal with it, unfortunately, unless you can configure your ISP server's junk mail settings or your email client to filter out the messages based on subject.

To prevent your email from being used in this way, never post your email address to any web form, forum, or newsgroup. Use a "throwaway" address to sign up for anything on the web or make purchases. Never give out your email address to anyone other than trusted individuals and even then, if they are infected by certain malware and your address is in their address book, you can still become a victim of this nonsense.

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Thank you for the response. 
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:37 AM