Migrating from unRAID to WHS questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

I currently have an unRAID server with 6x500 GB SATA drives. The server houses video content, mostly DVD's ripped to DVD folders (compressed about half size). I'm in the process of re-ripping these DVD's into Divx files, btw.

For various reasons I'd like to move from unRAID to WHS, but I'll be using the same hard drives and hardware. There is a driver that allows unRAID formatted drives (reiser) to be read under Windows. I'm curious if anyone has loaded this driver under WHS successfully?

What I'd do is build the WHS server with one empty 500 GB drive in the pool to start and not add the existing unRAID disks. Then I'd load the reiser driver to read one of the unRAID disks, and copy the data from that to the empty WHS drive, Then format the old unRAID disk and add it to the WHS pool. The read another unRAID disk, copy it over, format it, add it to the WHS pool, and repeat for all 5 data disks.

Does that seem like it'd work in a WHS environment?

Secondly, can individual disks from a WHS drive pool be pulled out and directly read under another windows environment, or can they only be read under WHS?

Third, if I have WHS installed on one drive and a drive pool of say 6 disks, if I need to completely start over and reinstall WHS, will it be able to add those data disks back with the data intact, or does it need to start over and reformat those drives, thus blowing away all of my hard work?

Fourth, can I have data disks in WHS that are not managed by WHS in a pool environment, ie, just individual disks shared like a regular PC or server?

Thanks for any insights or suggestions

Saturday, February 9, 2008 6:30 PM

All replies

• It hasn't been mention before, but there is no reason why you shouldn't try it on your 'new' virgin system. If it works with XP, you should be able to get it to run on WHS, even if it's having to use 'compatability mode'.

Data stored on WHS is just standard NTFS and can be plugged in and read by any windows system that understands NTFS.

If a re-install is necessary, all your data should be safe.  WHS will re-index and re-build all the tombstones of your existing data, and only wipes out any special Add-Ins you might have added, plus your Users etc. These will then need to be re-added after the re-installation.

Extra disks, when added to the server, instigate a pop-up asking if you want the disk to be added to the pool or not. You can choose not to add it to the pool, and it will then just exist outside the WHS storage pool, but can be seen by WHS as just another disk. It can be given a drive letter, but cannot participate in the duplication or backup regime of WHS.

Colin

Saturday, February 9, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Hi there,

I am planning on doing the same thing and migrate to WHS from unRAID 5.0 - did you manage to do it without loosing data?

If so would you please help share what I need to do.

I know it has been a few years back when you asked this, but any information would be helpful.

Thanks .

Abhi Oommen

• Edited by Abhi O Friday, December 13, 2013 7:33 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 7:33 PM