bypassing the annual backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Live OneCare tells me time to backup, but now wants brand new disks to start all over (annual backup). I want to continue adding to my last backup disk. How can i avoid the new start? I'm running Vista Home Premium and everything is up to date.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:57 PM

Answers

• You can't, unfortunately. When it it time to reset and refresh, there's no avoiding the new backup set unless you choose to simply disable backup altogether.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:57 PM

All replies

• You can't, unfortunately. When it it time to reset and refresh, there's no avoiding the new backup set unless you choose to simply disable backup altogether.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Thanks for the response, although not what I wanted to hear. Guess I'll have to do the new start and 'save?' the old dvds for whatever. This time I'll try RW disks so next year will not be a hassle
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Note that OneCare doesn't play well with re-used RW discs. We recommend using new blank R discs, typically to avoid issues.
    And, OneCare is at end of life, so when your current subscription expires you will be provided guidance for how to switch to Microsoft Security Essentials - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ - which does not include backup functionality, so you may want to look for an alternative backup soltuon before then.
    -steve

Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:47 PM