Network Storage Drive does not work on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a XIMETA 80g that is connected through a network switch. I have four computers that read and write to it.  WHS see's the network disk on the computer that it is installed on but will not back it up. I get an unable to create a volume, run check disk when I do a backup.  I have to uncheck the network disk for backup before it will back up the computers hard drive.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:34 AM

Answers

• In general, WHS is unable to back up disks that are remote from the client PC being backed up, whatever the source technology. This includes SANs, NASs, mapped drives, etc. If the device were connected directly to one of your PCs, you could likely back it up, as I think it will use the standard USB drivers built in to Windows. But of course other PCs would not have access to it as they do now; you would have to share it from the connected PC.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:40 PM

All replies

• When you said "that is connected through the switch" and "WHS see's the network disk on the computer that it is installed on but will not back it up.

I am assuming that XIMETA 80G has a USB and a Ethernet port? It acts like a NAS? If so, I thought I read somewhere that whs can't backup NAS, but then again I could be out to lunch. If you don't have a ethernet port then I am misreading your post.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 4:59 AM
  • In general, WHS is unable to back up disks that are remote from the client PC being backed up, whatever the source technology. This includes SANs, NASs, mapped drives, etc. If the device were connected directly to one of your PCs, you could likely back it up, as I think it will use the standard USB drivers built in to Windows. But of course other PCs would not have access to it as they do now; you would have to share it from the connected PC.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:40 PM
  • Yes it has a USB and Ethernet port.  It's connected to the Ethernet port throught a network switch which has other computers connected also.  I've been copying files to the Ximeta drive.  I installed the WHS software to one of the computers and in the setup it sees the Ximeta drive but will not back it up to the WHS.  Not sure if I like this.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:16 PM
  • I also have a network storage hard drive and i back this up to WHS but the traditional way. I RDP into WHS and use the backup program in accessories/system and save it to the D: data drive. It's a standard .bkf file but it's backed up. I could create a job and let windows scheduler run it. It's not a WHS backup but it works.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Is this something that is going to be added once WHS goes gold?
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Could it be possible to script something that does the backup on a schedule basis, rather than rdp to the server ?
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:56 PM
  • NAS does seem to "sort of" work sometimes, but isn't supported ATM.

I've added a NAS to the pool, disconnected and reconnected it, removed it, generally played about. I don't feel confident to rely on a NAS on the WHS. Rather use it as another backup/store for that belt and braces (belt and suspenders?) feeling.

WHS is a fire and forget sort of thing for non-techs, so most of the people testing  now will be playing about too much, good for beta testing but what we want isn't what the product is for.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:52 PM