Restore CD - Why DHCP only ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have read that :

rubber said:

OK, do you have a DHCP server in your network (often modem  / router works as DHCP server)? This is requirement for restore to work.
    Also you could try making a direct connection between your WHS and the client using a crossed pair UPT cable (get it from your local computer store for a few bucks)

note : Before reading this post I never heard about this DHCP obligation :-(

Question 1

All my PC are in fixed IP mode and I don't want to change this to DHCP mode
    (I have 2 NMT for Media playing, that are OK only in IP fixed mode so, I set all the PC in this IP fixed mode)

I downloaded the last founded iso image for Home computer bot Restore CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c&displaylang=en

.. and I burned an CD

I want to restore the XP system C: partition on an tri boot PC (XP, Vista, Vista 64)

-> Problem because no DHCP ??:
    The restore CD finds the network card but don't find the WHS even if I give the right WHS name

My network workgroup is named "MSHOME" :
    ->can it be another problem ?
    example : "Workgroup" searched as workgroup name by the boot CD ?

-> Why this damned DHCP obligation ? (and perhaps "workgroup" name) ?

It would be so simple to allow the user to enter the WHS fixed IP !!
    and enter the right workgroup name !!

-> Can Microsoft plan this very little thing ?

-> Must I enable DHCP temporally to allow restoration ??

Question 2 :

about Crossed ethernet cable between WHS and PC:

-> If I link the WHS and the PC by this cable, and if I boot the CD restore on the PC, the WHS will be seen ?

Question 3 :

From Any networked PC, we can found ClientRestoreWizard.exe in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\

->  How can we restaur from PC2, the System partition of PC 1 ?

To allow this restoration,

-> How the PC1 must be ? :

- The PC1 must be booted on the partition which will be restored ?
    - or booted on any other partition of the same PC ? (my PC is tri boot)

Thanks for all !!!

Jean-Max
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 11:12 PM

Answers

• Jean-Max said:

Hello,

I have read that :

rubber said:

OK, do you have a DHCP server in your network (often modem  / router works as DHCP server)? This is requirement for restore to work.
    Also you could try making a direct connection between your WHS and the client using a crossed pair UPT cable (get it from your local computer store for a few bucks)

Question 1

(I have 2 NMT for Media playing, that are OK only in IP fixed mode so, I set all the PC in this IP fixed mode)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c&displaylang=en

.. and I burned an CD

I want to restore the XP system C: partition on an tri boot PC (XP, Vista, Vista 64)

The restore CD finds the network card but don't find the WHS even if I give the right WHS name

No, it wouldn't.  The average user doesn't even know what DHCP is, much less an IP address.  WHS is designed to be easy-to-use.  Try explaining all of what you just said to your family member/friend/neighbor who knows nothing about computers and watch what their reaction is.

Jean-Max said:

They did plan it.  IMO, they made the correct decision for the reason I stated above.  If you want to use static, that's fine.  Just temporarily enable DHCP in your router, then disable it when you're done.  Or, better yet, enable DHCP in your router permanently, but keep the DHCP pool to a small range of your overall IP addresses.  (In other words, if your IP range is 192.168.0.x and your lowest IP is 1 and your highest is 30, setup DHCP to assign addresses 31 and up so there is no overlap.)

Jean-Max said:

Yes.

Jean-Max said:

Question 2 :

-> If I link the WHS and the PC by this cable, and if I boot the CD restore on the PC, the WHS will be seen ?

That should work, but only if you remove the static IP address from your server, which would then force both server and client to use APIPA (and both would be assigned in the IP range of 169.254.x.x).

Jean-Max said:

Question 3 :

From Any networked PC, we can found ClientRestoreWizard.exe in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\

Just put a new hard drive into PC2, run clientrestorewizard.exe and restore your PC1 backup to the new hard drive.  (Just make sure you select the correct hard drive during the restore process.)

Jean-Max said:

Just boot into whichever OS has the connector software installed, then run the file from there.

Jean-Max said:

Thanks for all !!!

Jean-Max

Monday, February 9, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Jean-Max said:

Thanks, kariya21,

I don't understand exactly :
    My actual problem (Boot restore CD doesn't find the WHS on the network)

I understood it was because there is no DHCP allowed in my router
    and because WHS IP was static and unknown by the Boot restore CD

Am-I wrong ?

Yes.  You need DHCP in your LAN for the client you wish to restore, not for the server (the client needs an IP address and without DHCP, it doesn't get one).  (My restore CD works fine and my server is static.)

Jean-Max said:

If I fix the WHS IP, it will be like now !

so ???

Thanks for all :)

Jean-Max

Monday, February 9, 2009 3:19 PM

All replies

• Jean-Max said:

Hello,

I have read that :

rubber said:

Question 1

.. and I burned an CD

No, it wouldn't.  The average user doesn't even know what DHCP is, much less an IP address.  WHS is designed to be easy-to-use.  Try explaining all of what you just said to your family member/friend/neighbor who knows nothing about computers and watch what their reaction is.

Jean-Max said:

They did plan it.  IMO, they made the correct decision for the reason I stated above.  If you want to use static, that's fine.  Just temporarily enable DHCP in your router, then disable it when you're done.  Or, better yet, enable DHCP in your router permanently, but keep the DHCP pool to a small range of your overall IP addresses.  (In other words, if your IP range is 192.168.0.x and your lowest IP is 1 and your highest is 30, setup DHCP to assign addresses 31 and up so there is no overlap.)

Jean-Max said:

Yes.

Jean-Max said:

Question 2 :

That should work, but only if you remove the static IP address from your server, which would then force both server and client to use APIPA (and both would be assigned in the IP range of 169.254.x.x).

Jean-Max said:

Question 3 :

Just put a new hard drive into PC2, run clientrestorewizard.exe and restore your PC1 backup to the new hard drive.  (Just make sure you select the correct hard drive during the restore process.)

Jean-Max said:

Just boot into whichever OS has the connector software installed, then run the file from there.

Jean-Max said:

Thanks for all !!!

Jean-Max

Monday, February 9, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply :)

you told:

Or, better yet, enable DHCP in your router permanently, but keep the DHCP pool to a small range of your overall IP addresses.  (In other words, if your IP range is 192.168.0.x and your lowest IP is 1 and your highest is 30, setup DHCP to assign addresses 31 and up so there is no overlap.)

-(1)- DHCP problem

"DHCP on a small range " seems to me an excellent idea :)->

Can I let in DHCP mode :
    - only my WHS and 4 my networked PC ( 2 desktops and 2 laptops) which need to be regullary saved

And let in IP static mode :
    - My 2 NAS and my 2 NMT (Networked HD Media plarers)
    - and my networked Print server ( ??)
    - And the adsl modem router ?? : MUST it stay in IP static ? (192.168.1.254 for me)

-(2)- Workgroup name problem :

-> MUST I change all the workgroup names from "MSHOME" to "WORKGROUP" on all my networked devices ?
    (WHS, PC, Laptops, NAS, NMT, Print server, and adsl modem router (I don't remember if it needed an workgroup name)

[Joke Mode ON]

you say :
    "WHS is designed to be easy-to-use"

...But....  2 from the 3 solutions for solving my problem are not very easy for someone "who knows nothing about computers" :

-(a)- Crossed ethernet cable between WHS and PC :

->but only if you remove the static IP address from your server, which would then force both server and client to use APIPA (and both would be assigned in the IP range of 169.254.x.x).

-(b)- clientrestorewizard.exe ...

-> Just put a new hard drive into PC2, run clientrestorewizard.exe and restore your PC1 backup to the new hard drive.  (Just make sure you select the correct hard drive during the restore process.)

[Joke Mode OFF]
    Jean-Max
    Monday, February 9, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Hi,
    you can leave which ever device you want in DHCP or non DHCP mode - besides the router, which serves as DHCP server and therefore must have a fixed IP address. Also the fixed and the non fixed addresses should not overlap.

Windows Home Server doesn't care about workgroup names, what is valid for your non Windows devices, only the manual can show.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 9, 2009 12:29 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    you can leave which ever device you want in DHCP or non DHCP mode - besides the router, which serves as DHCP server and therefore must have a fixed IP address. Also the fixed and the non fixed addresses should not overlap.

Windows Home Server doesn't care about workgroup names, what is valid for your non Windows devices, only the manual can show.

Olaf

Hi Olaf,

the fixed and the non fixed addresses should not overlap.

??
    You confirm that there will be no overlap or same  IP for 2 devices, even if I don't limit the DHCP server in router to an specific limited range ?

After previous post, I think to :

- Start DHCP server on my ADSL modem router in [192.168.1.1] to [192.168.1.10] small range
    - Set WHS, and my 4 PC in auto IP mode.
    - Let for all networked devices the gateway IP equal to the ADSL modem router IP (192.168.1.254)
    - Don't modify the fixed IP (192.168.1.254) of the ADSL modem router
    - Let the non Windows networked devices (2 NAS and 2 NMT,  all with Linux-like boot-prom), in fixed IP  greater than [192.168.1.11]

-> All what I plan to do is OK?

For workgroup name, you confirm that I can let everybody in "MSHOME" workgroup  ?

Thanks for all !

Best regards from France :)

Jean-Max
    Monday, February 9, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Jean-Max said:

Hi Olaf,

the fixed and the non fixed addresses should not overlap.

??
    You confirmm that there will be no overlap or same  IP for 2 devices, even if I don't limit the DHCP server in router to an specific limited range ?

I don't think that's what he meant.  You need to setup the DHCP pool inside the router, then assign your static IPs outside of that pool.

Jean-Max said:

After previous post, I think to :

- Start DHCP server on my ADSL modem router in [192.168.1.1] to [192.168.1.10] small range
    - Set WHS, and my 4 PC in auto IP mode.
    - Let for all netorked devices the gateway IP equal the ADSL modem router IP ( 192.168.1.254)
    - Don't modyfy the fixed IP (192.168.1.254) of the ADSL modem router
    - Let the non Windows networked devices ( 2 NAS and 2 NMT,  all in linux-like boot-prom), in fixed IP  greater than [192.168.1.11]

-> All what I plan to do is OK?

IMO, I would also assign a static IP to your server (above 10 in your case).  I have never liked the idea of a server with a DHCP-assigned IP, but that's your decision to make (it should work either way).  The only potential problem I see is if 10 DHCP IPs is enough.  (I went the other way around on my LAN; more DHCP, less static).

Jean-Max said:

For workgroup name, you confirm that I can let everybody in "MSHOME" workgroup  ?

As Olaf said, workgroup name doesn't matter.

Jean-Max said:

Thanks for all !

Best regards from France :)

Jean-Max

Monday, February 9, 2009 2:49 PM
  • kariya21 said:

IMO, I would also assign a static IP to your server (above 10 in your case).

Thanks, kariya21,

My actual problem is : Boot restore CD doesn't find the WHS on the network

-> Am-I wrong ?

so ???

Jean-Max
    Monday, February 9, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Jean-Max said:

Thanks, kariya21,

My actual problem (Boot restore CD doesn't find the WHS on the network)

Am-I wrong ?

Yes.  You need DHCP in your LAN for the client you wish to restore, not for the server (the client needs an IP address and without DHCP, it doesn't get one).  (My restore CD works fine and my server is static.)

Jean-Max said:

so ???

Jean-Max

Monday, February 9, 2009 3:19 PM
  • kariya21 said:
    You need DHCP in your LAN for the client you wish to restore, not for the server (the client needs an IP address and without DHCP, it doesn't get one)

Thanks !

I understand now :)

- Router with DHCP server ON in a large range : (ex : 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100)
    - Router with IP static 192.168.1.254
    - WHS with fixed IP after 192.168.1.100
    - 4 PC to restore in auto IP (by DHCP), with router IP as Internet gateway
    - 2 non Windows devices (NAS) with fixed IP after 192.168.1.100
    - 2 non Windows devices (NMT) with fixed IP after 192.168.1.100 and router IP as Internet gateway

I will see for the WAP and the Print Server (fixed IP, I suppose)

Thanks for all @ best regards :)

Jean-Max
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Jean-Max said:

Thanks !

I understand now :)

- Router with DHCP server ON in a large range : (ex : 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100)
    - Router with IP static 192.168.1.254
    - WHS with fixed IP after 192.168.1.100
    - 4 PC to restore in auto IP (by DHCP), with router IP as Internet gateway
    - 2 non Windows devices (NAS) with fixed IP after 192.168.1.100
    - 2 non Windows devices (NMT) with fixed IP after 192.168.1.100 and router IP as Internet gateway

I will see for the WAP and the Print Server (fixed IP, I suppose)

Thanks for all @ best regards :)

Jean-Max

The only caveat to that is you might have to go to each client and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe in order to get your clients to find your server again (unless the static IP address you assign your server now is the same as it was before).
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:15 PM
  • kariya21 said:

The only caveat to that is you might have to go to each client and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe in order to get your clients to find your server again (unless the static IP address you assign your server now is the same as it was before).

Thanks for the tip !
    I ignored that !!

Last question :

All the previously  saved data stored on the WHS where for PC's with their previous setup (static IP)

If I restore an saved PC partition, I suppose that I will only have after restore, to change from static IP to auto IP on this restored PC ..

OK ?

Thanks !!

Jean-Max
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:54 PM
  • The simplest solution is a crossover ethernet cable, which you asked about. If your server is configured to use DHCP, then in the absence of a DHCP server both the server and the client will use Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) which will guarantee they are on the same subnet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Hi Jean-Max,
    a PC restore to the same hardware usually will have the same configuration and settings as before.
    Only, if something makes Windows think that the network hardware is different it might change alone to automatic.
    Olaf
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Ken Warren said:
    The simplest solution is a crossover ethernet cable, which you asked about. If your server is configured to use DHCP, then in the absence of a DHCP server both the server and the client will use Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) which will guarantee they are on the same subnet.

OK Ken, I noted that in "emergency" case (Crashed PC), this simple
    crossover Ethernet cable solution can be very useful
    Small question:
    In case of PC crash, it will be easy to change WHS from fixed to automatic IP, but crashed PC not bootable will stay in its previous fixed IP :
    -> no problem ?

Olaf Engelke said:
    a PC restore to the same hardware usually will have the same configuration and settings as before.
    Only, if something makes Windows think that the network hardware is different it might change alone to automatic.

OK, Olaf, I know, I talked only about crashed PC's IP previously saved in fixed mode inside saved data , and which must be, after restore from this saved data, manually changed from fixed to automatic on the newly restored PC

We talked here about restoring a PC by CD boot restore (process reserved for crashed PC, I suppose)

-> But what about restoring an non cashed PC which can normally boot ?

In my case, I have not at this time any crashed PC

BUT for one of my PC, I want to return to an previously December saved image of the C: system's partition of this PC

This PC is bootable, so :

-> Can I restore  directly from this PC, (without boot CD restore)  the previous saved image of it's own system partition ?
    (like we can do with the soft GHOST )

Jean-Max
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:32 AM
  • We talked here about restoring a PC by CD boot restore (process reserved for crashed PC, I suppose)

-> But what about restoring an non cashed PC which can normally boot ?

In my case, I have not at this time any crashed PC

BUT for one of my PC, I want to return to an previously December saved image of the C: system's partition of this PC

This PC is bootable, so :

-> Can I restore  directly from this PC, (without boot CD restore)  the previous saved image of it's own system partition ?
    (like we can do with the soft GHOST )

Jean-Max

You can run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Hi Jean-Max,
    since this fixed IP address is part of the no longer booting operating system configuration and the recovery environment will get it's own IP address via DHCP - where is the problem?
    You can not overwrite the volume of a running OS, so the answer to your last question is no. (If you execute ClientRestoreWizard.exe, you also will see, that the system volume cannot be selected as restore target.) You either will have to use the Restore CD or a second client PC, to which you attach the disk of the system you wish to restore.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Thanks kariya21, Olaf, Ken Warren & brubber for your replies :)

Some of these replies could be added in a FAQ about PC restoring process, to help many WHS users :-)

Until this topic, I didn't read anywhere these so clear & useful explanations

Best regards from France

Jean-Max
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:40 AM
  • Jean-Max said:

No. The client restore wizard referenced above will not successfully restore the system drive that it's running from.

Regarding a crashed PC, if it's crashed and you're using the Restore CD, it doesn't matter how the PC was previously configured regarding DHCP. That configuration is OS specific, not hardware related. The Restore CD will only use DHCP, or APIPA if DHCP is unavailable.

And finally, most of what has been covered above is interesting only to someone seeking in-depth technical knowledge of how WHS backup and restore works. The average user only cares that it works at all, and what the requirements are. If you want a little more understanding of the backup and restore process, you should consult the Home Computer Backup technical brief.

If you have a deep technical interest in this sort of thing, I strongly suggest you spend some time learning more about basic networking and server management concepts. This forum is not a good place to learn those concepts and techniques; they will generally be scattered throughout the forum, and only those things that relate directly to a problem are likely to even be mentioned.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

If you have a deep technical interest in this sort of thing, I strongly suggest you spend some time learning more about basic networking and server management concepts. This forum is not a good place to learn those concepts and techniques

OK
    Like you told us previously for (simple) WHS toolkit 1.1 instead of (more complex) WHS toolkit 1.0, WHS user must stay simple and basic  ;) so.. most secure .

Last question ;) (I think this question useful for me, can be useful even for an basic WHS user ;)  )

My PC1 where I want to restore the C:\ (XP) partition is multi boot
    WHS connector has been previously installed on PC1 C:\ and D:\
    PC1 C:\ (XP ) and PC1 D:\ (Vista) have been previously saved in independent mode on WHS
    (On WHS , PC1 C:\(XP) and PC1 D:\ (Vista) are like 2 different PC)

-> If I boot this PC1 on D:\ (Vista) instead of C:\ (XP), can I restore PC1 C:\ (XP) from WHS , directly from "\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe"

Jean-Max
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Jean-Max said:

-> If I boot this PC1 on D:\ (Vista) instead of C:\ (XP), can I restore PC1 C:\ (XP) from WHS , directly from "\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe"

Interesting question - I would assume no, since C: contains the boot information for the running OS. Since I currently have no system with multi boot configuration and connector on both systems on my hands, I cannot test this. But you can try yourself by running the program and checking, which selections are possible for the target of restore (without finally executing the restore) and therefore answering this question.

Olaf
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:06 AM
  • OK, Olaf

I will try this WE and let you know the result !

Jean-Max
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:18 PM
  • (Restore from WHS a Bi-Boot PC)
    Question was :
    ->
    If I boot this PC1 on D:\ (Vista) instead of C:\ (XP), can I restore PC1 C:\ (XP) from WHS , directly from "\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe"

Test:
    On my Bi-Boot PC, if I launch ClientRestoreWizard.exe after booting on PC1 D:\ (Vista) :

-> the  PC1 C:\ (XP)  is allowed for restoring from WHS

I didn't tried it at this time, waiting for more secure info about this solution ;)

Jean-Max
    • Edited by Jean-Max Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:16 PM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Hello,

As complement to this discuss about DHCP, I noted this :

To allow an correct WHS PC restore CD operation, only the DHCP server has to be enabled on the router
    No need at all to set any PC in auto IP mode

Test:
    I allowed DHCP server on my ADSL Modem router in a small IP range (which is different from any fixed PC IP) and I let all my PC in their previous IP fixed mode

Result:
    -> The WHS PC boot restore CD finds OK the WHS on the network and no problem to restore PC saved partition :)

Jean-Max
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:15 PM