DLL issue after uninstalling two add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I uninstalled two add-ins from my Acer EasyStore WHS via the Remote Desktop Connection - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs.  The two add-ins were the iTunes WHS server and the Winston Digital Media Server.  Ever since I've uninstalled these I've encountered error messages when I login to the Windows Home Server Console.

I get the same error message twice, but with two different DLLs.  The error message is:
    "The previous attempt to open the Windows Home Server Console was not successful because there was a problem with the following file: HomeServerConsoleTab.iTunesServer.dll.  If the problem persists, please uninstall the add-in associated with this file and try again.
    To try to open the console with this file again, click Retry.  To open the consold without the features associated with this file, click Skip"

The error message also pops up with the WiDMS.dll driver as well.

If I hit either "Skip" or "Retry", it continues to log me into the console no problem, but the error messages show up again the next time I reboot the server.

So, it looks like somewhere at bootup it is still looking to run the two DLLs mentioned above, but it encounters issues because I've uninstalled the two associated add-ins.

Is there anyway to stop these error messages from appearing?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• OK, I think I've found the issue.

I had to delete the two DLLs from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ on the WHS, then delete the two registry references to the DLLs (located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole\BlockedDllList).  I could only delete the DLLs if I rebooted the WHS and accessed via Remote Desktop Connection.  If the WHS Console was loaded first, then the DLLs were locked and couldn't be deleted.

After a WHS reboot, it looks like the error messages are gone.

• Marked as answer by slow1234 Friday, June 5, 2009 11:51 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:51 PM

All replies

• I don't have an Acer unit, but I believe that both of those are Windows Home Server "add-ins". These should only be installed/uninstalled through the console; an add-in that is removed through Add/Remove Programs will not be completely cleaned up as far as Windows Home Server is concerned.

Add-ins have associated registry entries which tell the console how to load them, which is likely where your error messages are coming from. You can try uninstalling the add-ins in the console (if it will let you do so); that would be the first thing to do. If you can't do that, you may either try modifying the registry to remove the entries, or you can perform a server recovery (not a factory reset), using the recovery disk that Acer should have supplied with your server. A server recovery will normally preserve your backups and the data in your shares, but you will have to recreate users, re-join computers to your server, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I'll give your suggestions a try sometime in the next few days (I'm in the middle of painting so my computer/server time is limited these days). 

I should add, though, that neither of these two add-ins were listed in the Console add-in list.  That's why I had to uninstall them using Add/Remove Programs method. 

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:30 PM
  • It's likely that the manufacturer (Acer) installed those add-ins without using the console. You might want to contact Acer to see if there's any way to remove them.

Once you've removed them, you should bear in mind that those add-ins will be back, and will be just as difficult to remove, if you ever have to perform a server recovery. So I have to ask: do you really need to get rid of them?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Thanks,

I've contacted ACER - we'll see what they say.  I will try to remember to post their suggestions/remedies here.

Chris
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Acer's response via their email support is to contact Apple for the iTunes issue and they didn't give me a suggestion for the digital media server issue (which I think is by Wistrom).

According to their response, Acer email support doesn't have this level of technical knowledge.  Apparently their phone (pay service) support techs are more technical.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Probably even paid support will only direct you to a server recovery. I don't believe the Acer Windows Home Server units are even available in the US at this time (though they're expected soon), so there's not a lot I could advise other than that (no "hands on" experience). 

After a server recovery you'll have a functional console, but those add-ins will be back.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:45 PM

• I did try the Server Recovery option, but the software couldn't find the server - I haven't had time to troubleshoot why this is, but I'm pretty sure I know what to do (I think it's to do with DHCP issues after changing the server from a DHCP to fixed IP).

When I do find time to play around with this, I'll likely try the registry edits before I try the server restore again.

chris
    • Marked as answer by slow1234 Friday, June 5, 2009 9:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by slow1234 Friday, June 5, 2009 9:26 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 6:11 PM
  • I tried to fix the problem via a very minor registry edit.  There were single references to both of the DLLs, both in the same location in the registry.  After deleting these two references and both a WHS and desktop reboot, the error messages are still there. I've searched the registry and the references are back - how do I get the deletions to stick?

Chris
    • Marked as answer by slow1234 Friday, June 5, 2009 9:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by slow1234 Friday, June 5, 2009 9:37 PM
    • Edited by slow1234 Friday, June 5, 2009 9:40 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:27 PM
  • OK, I think I've found the issue.

I had to delete the two DLLs from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ on the WHS, then delete the two registry references to the DLLs (located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole\BlockedDllList).  I could only delete the DLLs if I rebooted the WHS and accessed via Remote Desktop Connection.  If the WHS Console was loaded first, then the DLLs were locked and couldn't be deleted.

After a WHS reboot, it looks like the error messages are gone.

• Marked as answer by slow1234 Friday, June 5, 2009 11:51 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:51 PM