Cannot view folders on Server from client computer. RRS feed

• Question

• I have three computers hooked up to the server running WHS 2011. One is hardwired to the router and is the main computer I use to configure the dashboard and settings. It can access every folder and do everything I need it to do. However I have a desktop and laptop that have the connector software loaded and can acces the dashboard, use the server as backup etc, but cannot connect to any of the shared folders. I get the message that I need to contact the system administrator for permission to acces that folder. Both of these are connected to the network wirelessly, if that matters. I can use them to change settings on the dashboard but nothing else. I have set up both of them as users and given them both full read/write privledges and still can't use the folders. Am I doing anything wrong? I am at a standstill and can't figure this out. Shouldn't they just automatically have access to the folders. Isn't that the d$%m purpose of the software? Please help otherwise this software is useless to me for the purpose I was hoping to use it for.
    Don't drink and drive or I'll provide the chaser!
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:57 PM

All replies

• If you rely on the built in "pass through" functionality in Windows, you can get tripped up by user name/display name differences. You should be able to enter credentials, using the Launchpad, to allow you to avoid that, though. Have you tried this on the client computers you're having trouble with? Also, have you placed your server in a homegroup? If so, you should be aware that for computers in the same homegroup, homegroup security overrides security you set per user on the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:46 PM
  • If you rely on the built in "pass through" functionality in Windows, you can get tripped up by user name/display name differences. You should be able to enter credentials, using the Launchpad, to allow you to avoid that, though. Have you tried this on the client computers you're having trouble with? Also, have you placed your server in a homegroup? If so, you should be aware that for computers in the same homegroup, homegroup security overrides security you set per user on the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

I'm having the same problem. I can access the SERVER Administrators from my Win 7 PC but cannot access the shared folders through the dashboard or win explorer. How do I change homegroup security?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:58 PM

• I'm having the same problem. I can access the SERVER Administrators from my Win 7 PC but cannot access the shared folders through the dashboard or win explorer. How do I change homegroup security?

Suggest you remove your Server from the Homegroup in the Dashboard under Server Settings. Then set up security per User in the Dashboard under "Users"

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by fjk61011 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:06 PM
  • ok i'll try that
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:20 PM

• I'm having the same problem. I can access the SERVER Administrators from my Win 7 PC but cannot access the shared folders through the dashboard or win explorer. How do I change homegroup security?

Suggest you remove your Server from the Homegroup in the Dashboard under Server Settings. Then set up security per User in the Dashboard under "Users"

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Woo. Ok I removed the server from the homegroup and I can access the shared folders from my local pc, both in the dashboard and win explorer. I had visions of reinstalling whs and waiting hours to set up mirroring and recopy my data. Thanks Phil
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:25 PM