ADO.NET Sync Framework and WCF RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Visual Studio solution with a project that I want to point my service to as this example shows.

The issue here is I have a WCF service application (located under web in the Visual Studio add new project dialoge) and not a WCF service library. The Configure data Synchronisation dialog in Visual Studio fails to detect this service and only detect a WCF service library

Is this by design or a bug, because I want the sync tables in SQL compact to point to my WCF web service?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Ira,

Yes, this is by design. Web Application is not supported in sync designer, because it doesn't support app.config. Sync designer needs it to record the connection string. If you want to use the WCF service defined in service application, you can leverage the generated code from sync designer and copy it to where you want to use. You'll also need to configure the project by yourself in this case.

Hope it helps,
    Xiaoying Guo
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Business Application Tooling
    Xiaoying is a program manager in Microsoft Silverlight and CLR teams | This post is provided "as-if"
    • Marked as answer by Mt. Vesuvius Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:34 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    I looked into this and it seems that this is by design.
    --
    Kyle
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Ira,

Yes, this is by design. Web Application is not supported in sync designer, because it doesn't support app.config. Sync designer needs it to record the connection string. If you want to use the WCF service defined in service application, you can leverage the generated code from sync designer and copy it to where you want to use. You'll also need to configure the project by yourself in this case.

Hope it helps,
    Xiaoying Guo
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Business Application Tooling
    Xiaoying is a program manager in Microsoft Silverlight and CLR teams | This post is provided "as-if"
    • Marked as answer by Mt. Vesuvius Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:34 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:59 AM
  • Thank you very much for the replies MSFT, and for the instructions that I need to make this work.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:35 AM