OEM Copies of Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone answer this question.

If the Windows Validation Tool searches the installed OS for files that have been corrupted or altered from the original build, then how is this over come the OEM issue?

All OEMS are cated for the specific computer to which they ae installed upon, and this means that the files would have been manipulated legally. So will the WGA Tool see these OEM LEgal cds as "ILLEGAL" CDs?

Thanx

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:31 PM

Answers

• If you look thru the threads for people who have posted the WGA diagnostic utility, you will see two types of OEM Windows being reported:

COA/sysembuilder (sic) [should of course be spelled systembuilder]

OEM SLP

The first describes an XP installation done with a genuine MS hologram systembuilder XP CDROM.  On the COA it will read OEM Software.  The older COAs are rectangular in shape and green.  The newer COA (mid August 05) will be cloud-shaped and yellow colored.

The second (OEM SLP) describes an installation done at the factory of a major big-name computer manufacturer (such as Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Acer, etc), or an installation done by the owner with factory produced recovery media.  On the COA it will say the big name computer manufacturer's company name.

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:36 AM

All replies

• If you look thru the threads for people who have posted the WGA diagnostic utility, you will see two types of OEM Windows being reported:

COA/sysembuilder (sic) [should of course be spelled systembuilder]

OEM SLP

The first describes an XP installation done with a genuine MS hologram systembuilder XP CDROM.  On the COA it will read OEM Software.  The older COAs are rectangular in shape and green.  The newer COA (mid August 05) will be cloud-shaped and yellow colored.

The second (OEM SLP) describes an installation done at the factory of a major big-name computer manufacturer (such as Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Acer, etc), or an installation done by the owner with factory produced recovery media.  On the COA it will say the big name computer manufacturer's company name.

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:36 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Thank you for your insight in the different versions of OEM Software;

However my question remains unanswered.

As far as I have read and it has happed to me recently on my test bed. After altering the Core system files via a legalised Microsoft update, or in my case installing IE7 Beta 2, when I did the Microsoft Update the only update available to me was the WGA Validation, which in passing I have now downloaded and Installed a total of 4 times!!!!!,once downloading and installing the update my Genuine Windows was deemed illegal. It does seem to be the case that the validation is failing due to the scan seeing that the core files have changed from the build of the Windows XP.

Can you tell me if It is true? I only want the answer so I can understand more the validation proceedure.  If this is deemed to be a sticking point with the WGA customers then maybe the outcome of this answer should be elevated to the FAQ's so that all customers do not have to sift through realms of, not useless, but unwanted informtion.

I agree whole heartedly in the WGA Program; however for the goal of a better Windows experience and not at the expense of the Legal customers who all of a sudden find that there software is illegal.

Your feedback is appreciated.

PS as feedback from my side I like the way Microsoft has tried to make this feedback form as close to Word as possible; however to stop the "COA/sysembuilder "maybe a spell checker should have been introduced. :)

Sunday, June 4, 2006 3:10 AM
  • Anfield,

I am not a MS software engineer so I cannot give you the answer you require.  I thought your first question was trying to understand how the WGA tool figured out the changes that OEMs make to system files, so my answer was intended to demonstrate that the WGA system is capable of differentiating the two types of OEM installations.

In reading many of the posts here, I have come to the conclusion that the false positives are mostly due to problems with the active X controls that are part of the validation process.

I have also come to the conclusion that almost everyone who posts here thinks their installation of XP is genuine, and that a large percentage are proven wrong about that.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 4:45 AM