Multiple problems with fresh install of WHS (file transfer speeds, crashing explorer, freezing when logging off) RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WHS into a good computer.  2CORE 2.6GHZ, 2MB Ram, two SATA drives running RAID0 on southbridge.  WHS is connected to a netgear wireless N router, which is then connected to the cable modem.  My desktop is a very new system, and is also connected to router via hard line.  Runs Windows Vista, never had a problem.
    Everything seems to be ok.  Added accounts to WHS and shared server space.  Connection from the desktop is fine.
    I have 3 major problems, and haven't been able to find any posts on these:

1. File transfer speed is ~120 Kbps.  The 'K' is correct.  Drives on the server are properly running UDMA, and copying the install DVD to shared folders only took a minute (800MB). 
    2. Windows Explorer crashes on desktop regularly.  This only happens when I'm connected to the server.
    3. When powering down the desktop, Vista gets frozen on the shutdown screen saying "Logging off...".  I have to power down the desktop manually.

Any suggestions?  I know it's a lot, but again there's nothing out on the forums about these, which is a little wierd.  I briefly tried my wife's Gateway laptop, and had the exact same issues.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:56 AM

Answers

• I just installed WHS into a good computer.  2CORE 2.6GHZ, 2MB Ram, two SATA drives running RAID0 on southbridge.  WHS is connected to a netgear wireless N router, which is then connected to the cable modem.  My desktop is a very new system, and is also connected to router via hard line.  Runs Windows Vista, never had a problem.
    Everything seems to be ok.  Added accounts to WHS and shared server space.  Connection from the desktop is fine.

1. File transfer speed is ~120 Kbps.  The 'K' is correct.  Drives on the server are properly running UDMA, and copying the install DVD to shared folders only took a minute (800MB). 
    2. Windows Explorer crashes on desktop regularly.  This only happens when I'm connected to the server.
    3. When powering down the desktop, Vista gets frozen on the shutdown screen saying "Logging off...".  I have to power down the desktop manually.

Any suggestions?  I know it's a lot, but again there's nothing out on the forums about these, which is a little wierd.  I briefly tried my wife's Gateway laptop, and had the exact same issues.

Hi,

RAID is not supported on Windows Home Server, that being said, have you verified that all the drivers on the Windows Home Server machine are the latest? Specifically, the NIC and storage drivers?

On the Vista machine, have you mapped drives to the server and/or are you "watching folders" on the server? Have you allowed the system(s) to wait a full 15 minutes to see if they bugcheck and what driver they bugcheck in? Please doublecheck that they also have the latest NIC drivers and are up to date on their patches, drivers etc.

Also, what AV are you running?

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:22 PM
  • I removed the RAID, did a fresh install, and it seems to have solved #1.  Transfer speeds are good (when I can transfer).
    #2 and #3 are still around.  The constant crashing explorer is making it difficult to do anything.
    The machine that is having the crashing problem is the client, not WHS.  On both machines the drivers are the most current, I downloaded them from the mfg website at the time of install.  The motherboard on the client is Intel and is completely up to date.
    The explorer crashing problem only occurs when I'm in a Windows Explorer with the server mapped to a local drive.
    I mapped a network drive and let the explorer window sit for 20 minutes.  Nothing happened.  I then tried to select the server drive and as soon as I clicked it Explorer went to Not Responding.
    When Expolorer is locked up, I can still double-click the server icon in the tray and open the Server Console remotely.  This still works fine.
    Vista gives me the option to restart Explorer, but this doesn't work.  I lose the start menu.  I use ctrl-alt-del and select reboot.  It hangs at "Logging off..." (left all day while at work (10+ hours).
    This is consistent.  If I map a drive and start browsing it immediately, things are ok for usually a minute or two.  But at some point I click on a file or folder on the server and Explorer locks up.
    To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how to look for the bugcheck.  I've looked over the forums but there's nothing that tells me exactly how to check this.  I've checked in the Computer Management under application events and the only errors I see are the Hang notices for Explorer.
    I run CA on the client, and I haven't even gotten to loading anything on the WHS.
    Tomorrow I will bring my Windows XP laptop from work and try the server.  This will either rule in/out Vista problem.

Are you running the enterprise/corporate version of CA? If you are, please make sure it has the most up to date definitions.

If the system is not bugchecking when you turn it off then it's not going to. It should bugcheck after 15 minutes. If this is an issue with CA, it won't bugcheck.  

You can force a usermode dump for explorer by right clicking on the process in task manager and selecting "create dump" but you have to be able to bring up task manager. This might be a problem if explorer is crashing. If you don't know how to analyze a usermode dump, you can skip this step ;)

You can also monitor what is happening on the server or client by using process monitor. I would put this on the client first and then if it doesn't provide any insight, try installing it on the server as well and repro the problem.
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:41 AM

All replies

Hi,

RAID is not supported on Windows Home Server, that being said, have you verified that all the drivers on the Windows Home Server machine are the latest? Specifically, the NIC and storage drivers?

On the Vista machine, have you mapped drives to the server and/or are you "watching folders" on the server? Have you allowed the system(s) to wait a full 15 minutes to see if they bugcheck and what driver they bugcheck in? Please doublecheck that they also have the latest NIC drivers and are up to date on their patches, drivers etc.

Also, what AV are you running?

Thank you

Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:22 PM
  • I removed the RAID, did a fresh install, and it seems to have solved #1.  Transfer speeds are good (when I can transfer).
    #2 and #3 are still around.  The constant crashing explorer is making it difficult to do anything.
    The machine that is having the crashing problem is the client, not WHS.  On both machines the drivers are the most current, I downloaded them from the mfg website at the time of install.  The motherboard on the client is Intel and is completely up to date.
    The explorer crashing problem only occurs when I'm in a Windows Explorer with the server mapped to a local drive.
    I mapped a network drive and let the explorer window sit for 20 minutes.  Nothing happened.  I then tried to select the server drive and as soon as I clicked it Explorer went to Not Responding.
    When Expolorer is locked up, I can still double-click the server icon in the tray and open the Server Console remotely.  This still works fine.
    Vista gives me the option to restart Explorer, but this doesn't work.  I lose the start menu.  I use ctrl-alt-del and select reboot.  It hangs at "Logging off..." (left all day while at work (10+ hours).
    This is consistent.  If I map a drive and start browsing it immediately, things are ok for usually a minute or two.  But at some point I click on a file or folder on the server and Explorer locks up.
    To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how to look for the bugcheck.  I've looked over the forums but there's nothing that tells me exactly how to check this.  I've checked in the Computer Management under application events and the only errors I see are the Hang notices for Explorer.
    I run CA on the client, and I haven't even gotten to loading anything on the WHS.
    Tomorrow I will bring my Windows XP laptop from work and try the server.  This will either rule in/out Vista problem.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:21 AM

Are you running the enterprise/corporate version of CA? If you are, please make sure it has the most up to date definitions.

If the system is not bugchecking when you turn it off then it's not going to. It should bugcheck after 15 minutes. If this is an issue with CA, it won't bugcheck.  

You can force a usermode dump for explorer by right clicking on the process in task manager and selecting "create dump" but you have to be able to bring up task manager. This might be a problem if explorer is crashing. If you don't know how to analyze a usermode dump, you can skip this step ;)

You can also monitor what is happening on the server or client by using process monitor. I would put this on the client first and then if it doesn't provide any insight, try installing it on the server as well and repro the problem.
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Jim, you should follow through with Lara, but I'm thinking the issue is with the client somehow, and really probably external to Windows Home Server. I can't begin to guess exactly what's going on, but I have some questions.

How "clean" is the client machine? Is is a fresh OS, or have you been using it for a while? Have you done anything to try to confirm you don't have any hardware issues? You say you've installed the latest drivers, but how about going back one or more revs? 

Also, do you only experience issues when you map a drive? What about accessing your server shares through UNC paths, ii.e. \\servername\sharename? What about accessing your server using a command prompt?

What happens if you try to access a share on a machine other than your server? Map a drive to it and let it sit? Etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:20 PM
  • First, let me thank both of you for helping.  I've ready many threads and seen your posts regularly.  I appreciate the help.

I brought home my Windows XP work laptop, and it worked fine.  I browsed and copied for 20+ minutes with no crashes.  So this points even more to the Vista client software.
    I threw a wrench into this effort by setting up a different computer and reinstallling WHS.  I had been using my kids computer to try this out, but they wanted it back.

After reinstall and prior to running the Windows Update I browsed around and things worked fine.  No hangs or crashes on my desktop Vista client.
    There is a significant difference in transfer speeds.  Transferring from the server to the client operates at about 11-13 MB/sec, which is great.  Transfers from the client to the server run at 115 KB/sec (yes, the 'K' is correct).  I haven't had a chance to browse the forums on this issue, but I need to look into this.  Transfers from disk drive to hard drive run great, and all the drive setups are correct.  I would expect putting things onto the server might be slower, but this seems excessive.
    I'm going to let Windows Updates work overnight and try some things again in the morning.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Okay, so your current environment is:
    • New computer,
    • fresh installation of Windows Home Server (not patched),
    • XP based laptop which is fine,
    • Vista based desktop which is slow.
    You should not use Windows Updates on your server to apply patches. The only patches your server needs will be delivered automatically (if you have that turned on in the WHS console) or manually when you click the Update button in the console. Using Windows Updates will give you optional hardware (i.e. driver) and software patches which you don't need on your server. If the patch is essential it's marked as "high priority", not optional.

As for transfer rates, which version of Windows Home Server are you installing? (After installation you could open the console, click Settings, then Resources, and see what version numbers are reported for components.) What you describe sounds like an issue some users had with the original RTM software, prior to any updates or power packs. As a point of reference, transfers from my Vista desktop to my server run at between 5 MB/s (for lots of small files) and 18 or so MB/s (for single large files). So yes, you're experiencing significantly slower transfers than I would expect.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Okay, so your current environment is:
    • New computer,
    • fresh installation of Windows Home Server (not patched),
    • XP based laptop which is fine,
    • Vista based desktop which is slow.
    You should not use Windows Updates on your server to apply patches. The only patches your server needs will be delivered automatically (if you have that turned on in the WHS console) or manually when you click the Update button in the console. Using Windows Updates will give you optional hardware (i.e. driver) and software patches which you don't need on your server. If the patch is essential it's marked as "high priority", not optional.

As for transfer rates, which version of Windows Home Server are you installing? (After installation you could open the console, click Settings, then Resources, and see what version numbers are reported for components.) What you describe sounds like an issue some users had with the original RTM software, prior to any updates or power packs. As a point of reference, transfers from my Vista desktop to my server run at between 5 MB/s (for lots of small files) and 18 or so MB/s (for single large files). So yes, you're experiencing significantly slower transfers than I would expect.

I disagree with one of Ken's points:  considering you are having network issues, you could try using Windows Update from the server desktop (yes, it's unsupported, but it works), but only to see if there is an updated, WHQL-tested driver under Hardware, Optional updates for your NIC and, if there is, install only that driver (do not install any Software, Optional updates as some of those have been known to cause issues with WHS).
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 4:34 PM
  • I downloaded the trial last week, and it currently says Power Pack 2 is installed.  Versions on the resources screen are 6.0.2030.
    I'm not sure what to try next.  This client to server transfer problem has been consistent across multiple computers, multiple installs, and multiple client OS's.  I'm almost starting to think it's a router issue, but that would really be odd.  I'm using a relatively new NetGear 100Mbps.  I have the folder duplication off and the media streaming off, so I've covered all of the easy stuff.

I've got about 260GB of videos I'm trying to get off my desktop and onto the server so my wife can access them from her laptop.  I went to move a single folder of 4GB and it calculated 10 hrs at 140Kbps.  This is going to be a big problem.
    If you have any other ideas, please let me know.  I'm completely stuck on this one.

The good news is the explorer hanging problem has gotten considerably better.  I did have one crash from my desktop (not a fresh install) but that was after 30-40 miuntes of use.  I'm going to try the fresh laptop some more.  I did get an interesting issue where VMWare was called out in a non-destructive explorer shutdown.  I use VMWare for scanning (not for server access) and I wonder if those drivers are causing an issue.  The fresh laptop will help hammer that out.  I'm also going to try accesses through other programs (Money, Photoshop, etc) and see if they have any issues.

Again, ideas on the transfer let me know.  10+ MB/s upstream would be gravy right now...
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 4:36 PM
  • I downloaded the trial last week, and it currently says Power Pack 2 is installed.  Versions on the resources screen are 6.0.2030.
    I'm not sure what to try next.  This client to server transfer problem has been consistent across multiple computers, multiple installs, and multiple client OS's.  I'm almost starting to think it's a router issue, but that would really be odd.  I'm using a relatively new NetGear 100Mbps.  I have the folder duplication off and the media streaming off, so I've covered all of the easy stuff.

I've got about 260GB of videos I'm trying to get off my desktop and onto the server so my wife can access them from her laptop.  I went to move a single folder of 4GB and it calculated 10 hrs at 140Kbps.  This is going to be a big problem.
    If you have any other ideas, please let me know.  I'm completely stuck on this one.

The good news is the explorer hanging problem has gotten considerably better.  I did have one crash from my desktop (not a fresh install) but that was after 30-40 miuntes of use.  I'm going to try the fresh laptop some more.  I did get an interesting issue where VMWare was called out in a non-destructive explorer shutdown.  I use VMWare for scanning (not for server access) and I wonder if those drivers are causing an issue.  The fresh laptop will help hammer that out.  I'm also going to try accesses through other programs (Money, Photoshop, etc) and see if they have any issues.

Again, ideas on the transfer let me know.  10+ MB/s upstream would be gravy right now...

Only the obvious stuff: replace the router, cabling, server NIC.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Well, after a long weekend of working on this, I've made absolutely no progress (other than figuring out my HP Photosmart 7360 printer cannot be used on a server).

The NICs are intergrated into the motherboards on both the server and the client, so there's not much to be done there (drivers are up to date).  The issues also occur both by a hard-wired client and a wireless client, so it's not the cabling.
    I purchases a new gigbit router this weekend.  I will be trying that this evening, although I'm not optimistic.  This seems to be an issue with Vista more than anything.
    The problem is more intermittent now.  It takes longer to hang.  I was connected to the server for a few hours with my hard-wired desktop, with periodic pauses in the accesses yesterday, with no problems.  I even used a sync program to verify over 70,000 files between the two, and it worked great.  Once I thought the problem was gone, it locked up.  I also used my laptop client and was setting up a photo program which had to index my entire photo library.  It worked great for about 30 minutes, then froze at 84%.  So the problem does not seem to be specific to explorer, it seems to be specific to the connection.

I'm running out of ideas.  I'm going to try and use process monitor to identify any process that occur around a hang.  I'm also going to try and use Windows XP more to see if the problem is repeatable there.  I know the transfer issue is the same, I've already seen that one.  I'm not sure about the hanging problem though, I haven't used the Windows Xp in depth.

Recap:

Transfer issue -
    good transfer rates from server to client (8+ MB/s), horrible transfer rates from client to server (150KB/s).  Vista client, both hard-wired and wireless on two different computers.  Also occurred on two different servers.  Problem with trial version?  The server is brand-spanking new, with Intel G43 motherboard.  I find it hard to believe I would have this problem and no one else would.

Hanging issue - Connections works well for anywhere from 5 min - 4 hours, then hangs.  Causes explorer to crcash, Vista won't shut down.  Using ctrl-alt-del to shut down, gets stuck at "Logging off".

Still looking for help and ideas.

Thanks!

Monday, May 11, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Since you say you see the behavior on multiple computers (something I don't think you mentioned previously) I'm a little more inclined to think it's the server somehow. Before going down that route though, there are several thing you can try to completely rule out your home network:
    • connect the server to a different port on your switch,
    • use a different network cable between your server and your switch (run it across the floor temporarily if you have to).
    • Try a different switch.
    Note: I reference a "switch" rather than your router, because your router undoubtedly has only 10/100 ports, so your LAN is running at 10/100 speeds. A gigabit switch can sit right next to your router, with a single wire connecting, and your internal LAN can run at gigabit speeds. Just using a gigabit switch could fix your issues; I've seen others have problems with gigabit NICs on a 10/100 LAN. Anyway, installing a gigabit switch is a win no matter what the problem turns out to be...

Failing that, this is worth a try at this point: buy a cheap NIC with an Intel chipset (I like this one, but it's not exactly what I mean when I say cheap :) ), install it in your server, and disable the integrated NIC (preferably in the BIOS).

Monday, May 11, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Well, I've officially seen it all... in a good way (I think)...

Tonight I replaced replaced the Vista OS on my desktop client to Windows 7.  Now the server network transfer speeds are good and repeatable.  Here's the interesting thing, it also solved the upstream transfer problem on my Windows XP laptop client.  I was consistantly seeing the significantly reduced speeds on the laptop connection, but now everything is good.  It looks like something on the Vista install was causing a router trafficking issue.  I haven't reinstalled my programs in Windows 7 yet (specifically VMWare, which loads a number of network adapters).

I am still having random crashing problems.  The interesting thing is Windows 7 handles these much, much better than Vista.  I see the explorer crash notice on the screen, but it handles itself and I don't notice any change in performance.  This seemed to happen about every 10-15min under heavy use, I still need to figure out what's going on here, but it wasn't affecting my use (that I could tell).

I am still getting crashes during file transfers using copy in explorer.  I was copying ~800MB from server to client, and every few times I tried this the copy box would freeze.  Task mgr was unable to end this process, so the window is there until reboot.  I could see the network traffic change when this happened, but there were no alerts in event logs.  This is somewhat repeatable on the Windows 7 client, but I cannot make it happen on the Windows XP laptop.  Need to keep troubleshooting here.  I'm going to install a new router tomorrow, one with gigabit hard ports.

One problem down, one left. 
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Another night, another setback...
    Started by verifying that the issue of crashing was still repeatable.  I did learn that the constant crash window I was seeing was for Internet Explorer, not Windows Explorer.  It actually happens everytime I close a window or tab, but I'll worry about that later (much later).
    I was copying a folder set of 800MB from server to client, and it would freeze on a semi-regular basis.  Now it was time to try the new router.
    I installed my new router, Netgear WNR 3500.  It's a Wireless N with gigabit router.  Setup was fine and internet was easily accessed.  The client to server connection had no issues.
    I tried to copy the folder, and the hang occured almost immediately.  Tried again with a different folder, same thing.  I tried individual files, and up to about 40MB the files copy over fine, and almost instantaneously (new router is fast).  But on any file > 40MB, or any folder with multiple files, the transfer hangs.
    The difference is the copy window.  When the file is sufficiently small, the copy window doesn't have time to appear, so it doesn't cause any problems.  If the copy window needs to appear, it hangs.  I actually have a file at ~39.5MB when the window flashes brielfy because it's done at the same time the window comes up.  But anything that takes long enouhg to bring up the window crashes.

This is starting to become a major problem.  I'd still like the help if anyone has ideas.
    I'm running out of steam.  Working on this every night for almost a week.  I really like the server capability, but these issues are making it useless.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Another night, another setback...
    Started by verifying that the issue of crashing was still repeatable.  I did learn that the constant crash window I was seeing was for Internet Explorer, not Windows Explorer.  It actually happens everytime I close a window or tab, but I'll worry about that later (much later).
    I was copying a folder set of 800MB from server to client, and it would freeze on a semi-regular basis.  Now it was time to try the new router.
    I installed my new router, Netgear WNR 3500.  It's a Wireless N with gigabit router.  Setup was fine and internet was easily accessed.  The client to server connection had no issues.
    I tried to copy the folder, and the hang occured almost immediately.  Tried again with a different folder, same thing.  I tried individual files, and up to about 40MB the files copy over fine, and almost instantaneously (new router is fast).  But on any file > 40MB, or any folder with multiple files, the transfer hangs.
    The difference is the copy window.  When the file is sufficiently small, the copy window doesn't have time to appear, so it doesn't cause any problems.  If the copy window needs to appear, it hangs.  I actually have a file at ~39.5MB when the window flashes brielfy because it's done at the same time the window comes up.  But anything that takes long enouhg to bring up the window crashes.

This is starting to become a major problem.  I'd still like the help if anyone has ideas.
    I'm running out of steam.  Working on this every night for almost a week.  I really like the server capability, but these issues are making it useless.
    On the Windows 7 machine, run chkdsk /f /r for all the drives. If the server is brand new, the drives should be healthy but if chkdsk on the client does not solve the transfer issue, try chkdsk /f /r on those drives as well. Bad drives can affect transfer speed.

After you've run chkdsk, try copying using robocopy from the client to the server (be sure to use the \\<servername>\shares location).  If you still have the problem, double check on the Windows 7 client and make sure that you are on the wired NIC and not the wireless (it's Windows 7, it may be a bug). Disable the NIC and re-enable it. Try again.

Let me know how robocopy works once you've run chkdsk on the client PC.

Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Ran chkdsk on both client and server, no issues.
    My desktop client does not have wireless on it, it only has a hard wire connection.
    Rebooted, and used robocopy to attempt to copy two directories from server to client.  Payload was 1.75GB, 4428 files, 252 folders.  At 561MB, 3033 files, 156 folders robocopy froze while at 32% on a random file.  I couldn't even close the command prompt window.
    Rebooted (which required a hard reset), started back in normal mode.  Disabled the ethernet port, then re-enabled it.  Tried robocopy again with same command.  Made it 5 files in and froze.
    When the problem occurs it doesn't sever the connection, it only freezes the window and that window becomes unresponsive.

Fired up the laptop running a freshly installed Vista client.  Connection was through wireless mode.  Ran the exact same robocopy command and it worked fine.  DId a copy in the windows explorer, worked fine.

I think the fresh Windows 7 install in conjunction with the router changeout solved a local hard network problem that was also affecting the wireless network.  This is fixed, and the laptop works good now.
    On the hard wired side, I'm starting to doubt the cable now.  The higher speeds may have exposed the issue, or the other network issues might have masked it.  Will buy a new cable tomorrow and try that out.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:41 AM
  • It's not the cable.  Tried a new cable and the same problem exists.
    I unplugged the cable from the desktop Windows 7 client and plugged it into my Windows XP laptop and things worked fine.  Multiple large transfers with no issues.

So at this point, it's starting to look like the problem is the network connection on my desktop.  The network adapter is intergrated into an Intel DG33TL motherboard.  According to Windows 7 update, it has the most current drivers.

Any suggestions?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:19 AM
  • I think I've finally figured it out!

The problem seems to be tied to RAID on the client.  I know based on an earlier post that RAID is not supported on the Home Server, so I'm not using it there.  But my desktop clients use RAID.  My laptops do not, so there's still some concern about early issues with my Vista client.
    I had been using RAID0 in order to speed up accesses.  I removed the RAID stripe and reinstalled Windows 7.  Now everything seems to be working fine.  Transfers are not only working without hanging, but are almost twice as fast (~70MB/s vs. ~30MB/s when using RAID).
    I'm not exactly sure what in the RAID driver was causing the problem, but apparently longer transfers would cause a glitch which would lock up that shell.  The overall connection was still good, and subsequent accesses still worked, but anything of size would simply cause the lockup.  Could also be an issue with hardware for the RAID.  I was using the ICH chipset RAID setting on the motherboard, and maybe race conditions or buffer sizes caused a backup problem.

At this point I'm going to close this thread as answered.  I appreciate the help from everyone and the patience.

Jim
    • Marked as answer by JimPomeroy Friday, May 15, 2009 3:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JimPomeroy Friday, May 15, 2009 4:06 AM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Spoke too soon...
    The reinstall did make things better, but I've started to experience hangs again.  So it's not assocaited with the RAID, it might be a AV thing.
    I installed CA antivirus, along with a few other programs.  I'm going to go back and start over and watch more carefully the installed programs.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:09 AM
  • It's not client RAID, per se. I can say that with certainty, because my desktop at home has a RAID array.

Does CA claim that their AV solution supports Windows Home Server?

Friday, May 15, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Sorry, I should be more clear when talking about server vs client.
    I do not have a AV program on my server.  The installed AV is on the client, which is where the hanging problem is always occuring.  I've never had a noticeable problem with the server, although I do know that a server problem could manifest itself on the client.
    I haven't been able to find any information on CA's website about Windows 7, so my guess is it really doesn't support it.  It seems to work fine, meaning it scans (although it doesn't find any viruses, which I hope is good).
    Friday, May 15, 2009 9:07 PM