Installing PowerShell Version 2.0 on a system with HPC Server 2008 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have a system running Microsoft HPC Server 2008 Service Pack 1. It comes with PowerShell version 1.0.  I need functionality available in PowerShell version 2.0.  Does anyone know of a way that I can just install PowerShell version 2.0?

Aquil
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:01 PM

Answers

• I had an application that used to run under linux, so I would use:

ssh user@hostname foo.exe
    rsh user@hostname foo.exe

However, MS HPC Server 2008 does not support SSH or RSH, so I need to invoke a remote command. In another forum I was pointed to the PowerShell.

So now I am doing the following:

PS C:\> invoke-command -computername hostname -credential domain\username -scriptblock {C:\MyApp\foo.exe}

I think that this is the right way to go, however I am now experiencing cross domain/trusted host issues, because I am seeing the following error:

Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message :
     WinRM cannot process the request. The following error occured while using Kerberos authent
    ication: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
     Possible causes are:
      -The user name or password specified are invalid.
      -Kerberos is used when no authentication method and no user name are specified.
      -Kerberos accepts domain user names, but not local user names.
      -The Service Principal Name (SPN) for the remote computer name and port does not exist.
      -The client and remote computers are in different domains and there is no trust between t
    he two domains.
     After checking for the above issues, try the following:
      -Check the Event Viewer for events related to authentication.
      -Change the authentication method; add the destination computer to the WinRM TrustedHosts
     configuration setting or use HTTPS transport.
     Note that computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated.
       -For more information about WinRM configuration, run the following command: winrm help c
    onfig. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (:) [], PSRemotingTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PSSessionStateBroken

So I think that what I need to do now is figure out how to make sure that the systems that I intend to use all trust each other.

Aquil

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:26 PM

All replies

• hpc 2008 sp1 does not support powershell 2.0.  Can you tell us more abotu what functionality you are looking for here?
    thanks
    -parmita
    pm
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:59 PM
  • I had an application that used to run under linux, so I would use:

ssh user@hostname foo.exe
    rsh user@hostname foo.exe

However, MS HPC Server 2008 does not support SSH or RSH, so I need to invoke a remote command. In another forum I was pointed to the PowerShell.

So now I am doing the following:

PS C:\> invoke-command -computername hostname -credential domain\username -scriptblock {C:\MyApp\foo.exe}

I think that this is the right way to go, however I am now experiencing cross domain/trusted host issues, because I am seeing the following error:

Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message :
     WinRM cannot process the request. The following error occured while using Kerberos authent
    ication: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
     Possible causes are:
      -The user name or password specified are invalid.
      -Kerberos is used when no authentication method and no user name are specified.
      -Kerberos accepts domain user names, but not local user names.
      -The Service Principal Name (SPN) for the remote computer name and port does not exist.
      -The client and remote computers are in different domains and there is no trust between t
    he two domains.
     After checking for the above issues, try the following:
      -Check the Event Viewer for events related to authentication.
      -Change the authentication method; add the destination computer to the WinRM TrustedHosts
     configuration setting or use HTTPS transport.
     Note that computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated.
       -For more information about WinRM configuration, run the following command: winrm help c
    onfig. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (:) [], PSRemotingTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PSSessionStateBroken

So I think that what I need to do now is figure out how to make sure that the systems that I intend to use all trust each other.

Aquil

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:26 PM