Quote Product Bit Indicator RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create an attribute to be places on the Quote Entity which has a value calculated based on bit fields of related Quote Product records.
    The logic should be like this:
    IF Any Quote Product related to this Quote has new_priceapprovalrequired(bit) = Yes;
    THEN Set the value of the Quote-level attribute = Yes;

The idea is that if any of the Quote's line items have been manually flagged for requiring Price Approval, then the field on the Quote will be flipped.
    I plan to use the Quote level attribute as an indicator for a workflow.

What I don't understand how to do is get the value of bit fields on the quote product records related to the quote...

Any suggestions?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Assuming you are creating your workflow against the Quote Product entity, if you add an update step then choose 'Quote' as the entity to be updated, you will see the quote form when pressing 'set properties'. On this, find your bit field to be updated (it will be in the 'Additional Fields' tab if you don't have it published on the Quote form), then click on the bit field and beneath 'Look For' in the form assistant on the right, select 'Quote Product' then 'Prce Approval Required', click 'Add' then 'OK'. Your bit field on the quote entity will then display something like {priceapprovalrequired} highlighted in yellow.

Save and close the form for your update step and publish your workflow. That should do the trick.

Note: if you haven't already done so, make sure you have published your Quote and Quote Detail entities before creating your workflow.

Hope that helps,

Rob
    CRM4 MBSS
    • Marked as answer by JCAdamJewell Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:11 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:34 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,
    Assuming you are creating your workflow against the Quote Product entity, if you add an update step then choose 'Quote' as the entity to be updated, you will see the quote form when pressing 'set properties'. On this, find your bit field to be updated (it will be in the 'Additional Fields' tab if you don't have it published on the Quote form), then click on the bit field and beneath 'Look For' in the form assistant on the right, select 'Quote Product' then 'Prce Approval Required', click 'Add' then 'OK'. Your bit field on the quote entity will then display something like {priceapprovalrequired} highlighted in yellow.

Save and close the form for your update step and publish your workflow. That should do the trick.

Note: if you haven't already done so, make sure you have published your Quote and Quote Detail entities before creating your workflow.

Hope that helps,

Rob
    CRM4 MBSS
    • Marked as answer by JCAdamJewell Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:11 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Rob,
    Thank you very much for the help! You gave me another perspective to assess the problem and for that I thank you. I was planning on using JScript on the QuoteProduct to est the attribute on the parent Quote form, then use a workflow (triggered by the user and acting on the Quote record) to detect the 1/0 status of the bit field and take action respectively.
    Using your advise I:
    Created a new Workflow that runs when ever the "Price Approval Required" attribute on the Quote Product is changed.
    (This will happen when the QuoteProduct form is saved).
    The workflow acting on the QuoteProduct will check the value of the Price Approval Required (bit) field.
    • If "1" - Then set the value of the Price Approval Required attribute on the parent Quote to 1.
                > Create a task "Price Approval Required" regarding the Quote //This serves as a historical reference in the Quote's History.
                > Set the status of the task to Completed
                > End the workflow as Successful
    • If "0" - End the workflow as canceled
    Created a workflow that runs when a user clicks a button on the Quote form which looks at the value of the Price Approval Required bit attribute on the Quote.
    • If "1" - Assigns the task to another user for approval, and sends them an email
    • If "0" - Nothing.

Thanks again!
     - Adam
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:24 PM