Shared printer on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to hook up my canon printer to the WHS so that all the computers have access to it. One of the ways I found out to do this was to do a remote desktop connection and copy drivers to the server and then "Add printer" The problem is 

1. I am not sure where to find drivers for WHS Operating system as they are not listed on canon's website

2. The drivers I found out were for Windows Server and that too is an .exe file. I am not able to execute the file on the server

How can I share a printer on WHS? Please help

Seth
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:18 PM

All replies

• You will need 32 bit drivers for Windows Server 2003 (preferably) or Windows XP (second choice). You generally don't want to install all the extra software printer manufacturers want to supply; you want a "driver only" package.

As for installing, in general you will:

• Download the driver package.
    • Copy it to your server somwhow, probably to the shares.
    • Copy the package to the server desktop. (Note that some manufacturers may have locked down execution of programs stored in the shares from the server desktop; if your installation package is in a share on one of these server, you'll be unable to run it.)
    • Right click it and unblock it, if you have that option.
    • Run the installer.
    • After driver installation has finished, you should be able to connect the printer and configure it.

I will warn you that many consumer printers are what's usually referred to as "win printers" or "GDI printers". These printers rely on the Windows rendering engine for most of the work, and send a relatively simple stream of bits to the printer for transferring to the printed page. This type of printer may not work well as a network printer, since the drivers are usually optimized for local printing. The best advice here is really to pick up an inexpensive network multi-function printer. These are designed for network use (they may still be "win printers", but the drivers are designed to function in a network environment) and offer features such as scanning, copying and faxing (sometimes), all in a single package.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:36 PM
  • thank you. i will try this out and "mark as answer" once this works. 
    Seth
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:52 PM
  • The point I was trying to make when I talked about GDI printers is that it may not work with the printer you have...
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:00 PM
  • the printer i have is a network enabled printer and has an ethernet slot. it is canon mf6540. I think it should work with a WHS
    Seth
    Friday, June 11, 2010 12:20 AM
  • Then use it directly; don't share it from your server. Sharing it from your server, you'll only be able to access the printing functions from other computers. You can't share a scanner the same way you can a printer.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 12:26 AM