WHServer origional Connector removal FAIL RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to uninstall WHS connector the origional by using Add/Remove Programs. When I try to connect to the "Vail" server it tells me you can't be connected to 2 servers. At my house this is not an isolated incident this has happened on 3 XP machines and my Win 7 machine. HELP!
    Friday, May 7, 2010 2:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi john95173,

Can you share more details about what happens when you try to uninstall the WHS V1 connector?

Is there a specific error message?

thanks

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, May 7, 2010 6:37 PM
  • It notifies that there was a Fatal error during install. Thats all it says. If you click change in Add/ Remove and then choose the remove option it says install did not finish
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:01 AM
  • I had the same problem with a Windows 7 64bit system.

When you go to add/remove programs and highlight the program and click remove it goes through all the various stages of removal and for all intents and purposes it was removed but the program is still listed in the add/remove program list and you cannot connect to the server.

I completely formatted the drive and reinstalled Windows 7 before I could get it to connect.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Same removal issue for me. I had to use the windows uninstall tool to remove the connector entry. Then I stopped all the WHS services and deleted them. Deleted the Program file folder for the connector and restarted the computer.

Ran CCleaner to remove all WHS related entries and made sure that the WHS certificate on my machine was gone.

This was an extremely long winded process. Uninstall of the connector worked in WHS original, PP1, and PP2. Honestly, was there no bug checking done on the code? This is really really lame on Microsoft's part.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 9:13 AM
  • I don't want to give anyone the runaround but this seems to be an issue with the released version of Windows Home Server, as such you may receive more and better assistance in this forum: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/threads.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Kind regards /Lennart
    Monday, May 10, 2010 7:43 PM
  • I had this same problem. I got around it by wiping all reference to the old connector from my machine: deleted Program Files; ProgramData; and carefully a bunch of stuff from the registry (searching for "Home Server" and WHS and my server's name. Try at your own risk but it worked for me.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:49 AM
  • I had similiar problem.  The first attempt to remove the V1 connector did not work.  It looked like a successful removal but the V2 gave me the already connected error.  Re-booted to see if that would fix it.  Nope - than I noticed that the V1 connector was still listed as installed.   Attempted removal a 2nd time.   This time I the connector was successfully removed - have no idea what happened or why.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Thanks for sharing this James,

This is inline with the information I got from our Sustained Engineering team.

There is a known issue that customers have encountered with the Windows Home Server Connector that is fully up to date with Power Pack 3. The first uninstall doesn't work correctly but a second attempt succeeds and the Programs and Features entry (Add or Remove Programs on Windows XP) is removed.

If a subsequent uninstall attempt doesn't succeed then please follow the steps for reporting issues with the original release of Windows Home Server so that we may best assist you.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Kind regards /Lennart
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:46 PM
  • To report an issue with the original version of Windows Home Server, please use the following feedback form:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=3520&FeedbackType=1

Thanks

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Confirming.
    This is what I have seen happening here occasionally:
    1. Uninstall fails:
        Exit the connector instance by right-clicking the WHS icon, and retry uninstall
    2. Uninstall reports succes, but is not removed form the Add/remove programs list:
        Run uninstall a second time, solves this.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:47 PM