WHS Connection to LAN? RRS feed

• Question

•  

More of a Networking question than WHS, but related. I have a Router, connected to that Router is my Modem, and WHS, and a Switch. All other Clients are connected to the Switch as well as another Router configured as a Wireless Access Point. My thinking is that the server should be closest to the Modem, and Router. Is this the best way or should I move the server to the switch?

Modem....Router....WHS

Switch.............Clients

Wireless AP
    Friday, April 18, 2008 1:18 PM

All replies

• I have a similar setup except: modem->router->wireless AP
    switch->wired clients

The wireless router has DHCP turned off and the router handles all DHCP duties. I run it this way because the switch and all clients are gigabit but the router and the wireless AP are not. It seems to work well.
    Just out of interest, why do you think the server should be closet to the modem?

Friday, April 18, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Thanks, My reason for having WHS close to the modem is because my remote connection is and always has been undependable at best. I wanted the WHS as close as possiable to the "outside world" probably more related to the fact that I have a Satellite Broadband and the associated latentency than where in my LAN the server is, but that just seemed to take out some possibilities.

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:38 PM
  • The order you've listed, or otherwise, isn't going to effect the reliability or speed, unless you're using a very old 10MB switch.

Colin

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:55 PM