Trying to back up my files RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to start backing up my files because OneCare keeps telling me to every time a start my laptop. I am working on a wireless connection and am not sharing files with anyother computer. Every time I try to add a network place to back up on I'm told OneCare does not recognize the name even though I am selecting the device from the browse botton. Please help!!!
    Friday, September 18, 2009 3:41 AM

Answers

• To use a network Share as a backup destination, you need to create a Share on that networked PC with the permissions modified to allow all users full access to the Share. That means full read/write/delete rights. I also suggest that you perform your first backup over a wired connection and not wireless as the amount of data to be transferred can be quite large the first time.
    On the other hand, depending on the length remaining on your subscription, you may want to disable the OneCare backup by unchecking "turn on backup for this PC" in the backup settings and seek an alternative backup solution since you will not be able to renew your current subscription when it expires.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 18, 2009 12:11 PM