Password Needed RRS feed

• Question

• My home server connector icon is always orange and displays the message "Your password is needed".  I realize that WHS wants to link your login identity on a client computer with a user account, however, I have multiple computers with the same name.

For instance I use my main computer that has a user account Jeremy, and a laptop that also has a user account called Jeremy.  These are the only and main accounts on each computer.  Me and my wife just use the same account, though she wants her own personal folder on WHS.  She doesn't want, nor do we need multiple logins on the client computers.

I set her up as a user on WHS but when I get off the computer and she uses it and wants to access her shares, it still has my infomation cached and automatically opens my shares using my WHS user account instead of hers.  I don't see anywhere to allow me to logoff so she could log in.

Breakdown:

I know WHS wants to link client pc users to the WHS user but it isn't always convienient in all homes.  WHS should not display an orange display saying something is wrong w/ my network because a household doesn't use multiple user accounts on client pc's. 

There needs to be a logoff function for these situations.

Let me know if there is this feature implimented and maybe I'm just a nub who cant figure it out.

Jeremy

Saturday, April 7, 2007 5:58 AM

Answers

• No, there is no "log off of WHS" feature that you're not seeing. The information that's cached is really nothing more than your credentials (user id and password).

In order for WHS to control access to shares on a per-user basis and have that control appear seamless to users, it requires that a user's id and password on the client PCs in the home matches. This is because of the way networked shares and authentication work in general, not because of a limitation of WHS.

So for the time being, you will have to use one or another variety of workaround, such as:
    • You may be able to turn on Fast User Switching on your client PCs, which will allow your wife to log on without you having to log off. Then you can switch back and forth as required. There are certain conditions where you can't use that option.
    • You can grant yourself access to her share on WHS. Then she will have access to it from your account. If there's a privacy issue, this isn't an option.
    As far as your first paragraph, it's not unusual for a home to have several computers which all have the exact same accounts set up on them. With WHS, whatever computer you're using, you'll have access to the shares, assuming account names and passwords match.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 12:17 PM