WHS to Xbox.....without another WMC PC in the middle - possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a WHS…..an Xbox360 and an XP PC, but not the Media Centre version. I have being trying to get see if there is a way to utilise the Windows Media Centre (WMC) functionality to my Xbox 360 and stream videos from the WHS to the Xbox…… This I can do, however not using WMC as the Xbox can't see the WHS as a Media Centre device.

I am trying to get the most out of both devices and while I do have other PC's in the house, some with Vista on them, I really don't want to have 2 devices running all day every day...

Am I missing something, I have not been able to find out how this is supposed to work after looking on a lot a sites.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:23 AM

All replies

• I hate to say no...

However the answer is still no.
    WHS is not a Media center OS either.
    Media center OSes can "see" the shares and all them to their own.
    the xbox 360 and other devices like it are media center extenders.
    An extender requires a media center OS to latch onto.
    • Proposed as answer by Lumacman Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:55 PM
  • WMC is just one of a couple ways to stream video.  You don't really need to use the WMC option on your Xbox, and if you don't have any WMC devices it's not a problem.  With WHS, just navigate to your Video Library on your Xbox and your stuff should be there.  Just throw everything on your WHS and don't bother with the PC.

Might have to do this first:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/whs.htm

As for the other PC, you can just play the files directly off the WHS video share.

HTH

Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Yes it is possible without using a PC in between,

You need to enable the guest account on your server and then the 360 can see the following shares:-
    VIDEO
    PHOTOS
    MUSIC

You then access them through the xbox blades on your xbox and it asks where you want to get the files from listed should be SERVER 1 or whatever you called your server at initial setup
    Be aware though that an Xbox can only see the files above so if you example wanted to see the 'recorded TV' share on your server through your xbox you cannot, you would need to move any video files into your VIDEO shared folder for the xbox to access them
    • Proposed as answer by Tiberium Friday, February 5, 2010 11:53 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Well said, Tiberium, though in my experience, it's not necessary to enable the guest account on the server.  Enabling Media Library Sharing on the three folders via the WHS Connector is enough, as that gives read access to everyone anyway.

"If you turn on Media Library Sharing, any digital media receiver or computer on your network will be able to access your shared content."
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:23 AM