Restoring Microsoft Money file after reinstalling Money itself RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm a UK user of Money Financial Suite (2004) and have been for 6 years. I recently had a problem with my PC and needed to reinstall Vista from scratch.

Having reinstalled Money I tried to open my .mny file which I had backed up but Money now tells me that it needs to convert this file to 'the new version of money' and then when it tries to do that it says that it cannot locate or open the file!

I know that Money is now defunct and that the only option is this 'sunset' version except that, of course, as a UK user, this isn't available to me. I had looked at moving to something like Quicken, but I would still then lose all my 6 years of data as it can't access my .mny file. Please, please help me get my finances back!!!

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:22 PM

All replies

• Uninstall Sunset. That is not for UK files. See sticky topic in this forum. Download and install UK Microsoft Money 2005. Save the installation file for potential later use.

Copy your existing *.mbf and *.mny files to other media such as a flash drive as security against disk failure. Copy your real *.mny file to your Documents folder. Open Money by right-clicking that file and choosing Open.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

I never installed sunset as it said US only.

When you say download and install Money 2005, what do you mean? The copy of Money 2004 I have is on a disk - how can I download 2005?

Trying to open my .mny file as suggested above (right click -> Open with) presents me with 'You are attempting to open a file of type 'Microsoft Money 2004 backup.' (.M12) This is a Money 2004 file. Use the file command in Money 2004 to open it...'

Sorry if I'm being thick!

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:57 AM
  • There are some things here that are confusing.

1) if you get the message that you are trying to open a .M12 fule, that suggests you are not r-clicking on the current data file but on a backup file saved by a prior file version upgrade.

2) If M04, reinstalled, says that it needs to upgrade the data file you opened, that suggests the file you opened is from a version older than M04.

I suggest you rigorously search your system (including \program files) for ALL .MNY, .MBF, and .M12, .M11, .M10, etc files. I think the files you are playing around with are not your current data file and you need to sort that out first.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:23 AM
  • «how can I download 2005?» As suggested by Cal Learner, read the sticky topic on top in this forum.  It will tell you everything you have to know. 

Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:13 PM