WHSTrayapp.exe - 1 billion page faults?! RRS feed

• Question

• My PC (Vista Ultimate 64) has been up for 719 hours. In that time, WHTrayApp.exe has generated 999,103,503 (and rising) page faults. This doesn't seem right. It's over 10x the next highest (Google Chrome at 98 M), and 16x svchost.exe (61M).

This doesn't seem right.

What's going on?

whstrayapp.exe file version 6.0.1800.36 19 Jan 2009 22:44:12

And during the time it took to type this it's added another 50K page faults.

qts
    • Edited by Quentin Stephens Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:38 AM Added whtrayapp details
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:36 AM

Answers

• Uness something seems to be malfunctioning, don't worry about it. Page faults are generated for a lot of reasons, and on a computer that has been running for a long time, with a task (like WHSTrayApp) that is running the entire time, it's not unusual to see very high counts for things like that.

For more information about page faults, see this Wikipedia article , which gives an extremely basic description of what they are and some of the reasons they may occur.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:55 AM

All replies

• Uness something seems to be malfunctioning, don't worry about it. Page faults are generated for a lot of reasons, and on a computer that has been running for a long time, with a task (like WHSTrayApp) that is running the entire time, it's not unusual to see very high counts for things like that.

For more information about page faults, see this Wikipedia article , which gives an extremely basic description of what they are and some of the reasons they may occur.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Oh, as an IT professional myself, I'm thoroughly familiar with page faults. The issue isn't that they're happening, it's the huge number of them.

There's nothing in the Event Logs, BTW.

qts
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:16 PM
  • I wouldn't worry too much about it. The likely cause is process context switching as other apps need to run and the system pages them in and out of RAM. As a software developer myself, I would guess that your client is consistently hitting the maximum amount of installed RAM and pages because it has nowhere else to put it. You can try increasing the amount of RAM or shutting down non-essential processes if the number of page faults is really bothering you.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:30 PM