chkdsk RRS feed

• Question

• how long can CHKDSK take b/c i've been waiting for two days....is this normal?
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:35 PM

All replies

• how long can CHKDSK take b/c i've been waiting for two days....is this normal?
    How many GB/TB of data do you have on your server?  Are you using Ken's script in his FAQ post here?  Is your device a pre-built server or a DIY one?  Are your hard drive activity lights blinking at all?
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Also you have to factor in if you have relatively old PATA drives, new SATAs or drives connected on USB.  Firewire is better for disk transfer so go with the underlying disk type.

At 50MB/second 48 hours is ~8.5TB, I forget exactly what chkdsk does with the data but if we assume it only looks at the data and computes a checksum (that is it read each and every byte only once - 50MB/s is a good rate of speed for modern SATAs halve it for older PATA units and take a 2/3rd off for USB - all guestimates by the way and that is assuming your drives are clean, expect much longer for dirty disks.

--
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 10:36 PM
  • the light are blinking and it is now step 4/5 at 2% and froze again. its only a 80G but i should have bout 40G left. it's a dell 2400.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:03 AM
  • I think you should consider the drive trash.  In my opinion If a 80GB drive won't complete a check disk in a few hours let alone a couple of days then it's not worth keeping.  80GB is the minimum drive size for Windows Home Server - if you can free up a larger faster drive it's best used for your system drive.
    --
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:42 AM
  • what exactly is a drive trash? this didnt start till i put all my music on it. is it possible to get on it and delete some stuff and try it again or am i just gonna lose everything i i got on there?
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Trash = junk, rubbish i.e. throw it out.

I would connect your drive to another computer and copy the data off - you might not be able to retrieve it all.  Look on the Hard Drive and see if you can see a manf date, hard drives don't last forever - they are physically devices are wear out over time - the contents of the drive does not effect it's ability to perform it's task.

You don't tend to notice these problems until you actually use the drive.

--
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:11 PM