OCS 2007 Enterprise to R2 Enterprise back-end RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install OCS 2007 R2 Enterprise in an environment that already has OCS 2007 Enterprise.

We encountered a failure when creatng the pool.  0xC3EC78BA Specified back-end for the pool is currently being used by another pool.

We had had planned to use the same back-end sql server for the new pool.  I'm following the document "OCS 2007 R2 Migration from 2007.doc".  It says
    "Office Communications Server 2007 R2 requires new database instances. The new databases will be created automatically when you install the new Enterprise pool."

Does this mean I need to use a different SQL server?

Thanks,
    Joseph Durnal

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:26 PM

Answers

• This means you need to install a fresh, additional instance of SQL on the back-end server before deploying the second OCS Enterprise pool.  Assuming you are using the default instance in SQL for the previous pool, you'll need to add a second, named instance and then during OCS installation reference the back-end database location as 'servername\instancename' (e.g. "SQLBE01\newinstance").
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:38 AM

All replies

• This means you need to install a fresh, additional instance of SQL on the back-end server before deploying the second OCS Enterprise pool.  Assuming you are using the default instance in SQL for the previous pool, you'll need to add a second, named instance and then during OCS installation reference the back-end database location as 'servername\instancename' (e.g. "SQLBE01\newinstance").
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Thank you Jeff, you confirmed my suspicion.

The DBA here wasn't comfortable with named instances, so, they had me point the database to a different cluster, but that is OK - we are making progress.

Joseph Durnal
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Unless the other cluster was just deployed it sounds like they have you using an existing default instance that may have other applications databases already in it.  Although it's technically possible to collocate OCS and other non-OCS application databases in the same instance (assuming no name conflicts), it's not recommended.  The OCS installation will make changes to the SQL Schema on that instance and there's no telling what (if any) impact that may have on the other DBs in use and their linked applications.  The documentation highly recommends using a dedicated SQL instance for the OCS back-end databases.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:14 PM