Remote Acess problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a machine that I turned into a WHS.  I started with the trial and really liked the features so I purchased the OEM version from NewEgg.  When I had the trial up and running everything worked great including the remote access. After doing a clean install with the OEM disk that I got everything works except the remote desktop and remote server consoel via IE.  when I go to the servers web page either at home or from or from somewhere else over the internet everything seems to work.  I can access all the shared folders and download items from the server.  If i try to open a remote desktop connection to a computer that is linked to the server it gives me the option window to chose internet speed, file sharing... but if I click OK id does nothing, no errors, no messages, just nothing.  if I click cancel it closes the window like it should.  I have checked everything from ports, to firewalls, to remote desktop settings under the computer properities advanced settings tab.  all of the client machines are running win 7 ultimate or pro.  When I open the WHS server console on the server itself under remote connections it tells me that everything is good to go.  I am stumped and need help...
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:36 AM

All replies

• Did anything strange happen when you were installing which might have led to an imperfect installation? I might be inclined to reinstall.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:16 AM
  • no nothing weird happened, the install went smoothly like it was suppose to.  no errors, glitches or concerns.

Dave

=Dave=
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Can you set up a RDC to the server (not the Dashboard) and if you log directly on to the server, can you RDC to one of your client machines? Also, try temporarily disabling all firewalls to see if that helps.

You say "When I open the WHS server console on the server itself under remote connections it tells me that everything is good to go." Does that mean you can RDC to a client this way?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:15 PM
  • No I am not able to RDC to the server from any client, That is one of the main problems that I am having.
    =Dave=
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:46 PM
  • let me try to clear things up.  when I open Internet Explorer and go to the web site for my home server I am able to log in just fine.  I select the tab for computers and it shows me all the computers that are linked to my server.  i then select a computer and a pop up box shows up with the options for connection speed, window size and other things.  when I click OK to open the connection it does not do anything.  the OK button toggles but the box stays there and the RDC window does not open up.  no mater how the options are set it still does not work. also if I select the link for "Remote Access to Windows Home Server Console" a blue box pops up but has nothing in it.  this is the case if I am at home or logging on to the server from another network via the internet.

=Dave=
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Has anyone thought of any new ideas

Dave

=Dave=
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:08 AM