none
THIS MUST BE FIXED! SOON! RRS feed

• General discussion

• at first glance, i was very impressed with the enhancements of the forum.. very nice guys.

i do have one MAJOR ....(cannot find the perfect word to describe, and problem is not the correct word to use.)

there has to be something done about the movement of the replies with helpful marks and marked answers..

this is total ...(cannot add that word since it will get replaced with a ____.)

i recently navigated to the msdn vb forum, and what do you know.. a thread i helped out with made the Popular Threads .. made me just want to overlook it, since i did dedicate a lot of time in it.
    the thread is:
    Some PRO out there?
    the thread address:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/c3b24a76-413d-4b68-bc1f-0b3ed2800f37

before the enhancements of moving the helpful and answers, i could actually make sense of the whole post.. the answers, the smarty pants jokes, the everything, etc.

now, it's ...(another one of those words).

if anyone that has the privilege to modify the forum, please read this thread, and reply back here to say that you made sense of the entirety of the post from start to finish..  i cannot wait..

i'm glad this long thread caught my attention.  could not find a better example to use. ;o)

if anyone feels the same, add a reply, with 'i vote for this to be fixed! ' or so, in the biggest font you can use, and hopefully if enough replies, this will get fixed..
    doesn't microsoft hire the best? were those best on vacation when this happened? hope so.

trujade..
    (the entire post is just my opinion,  but it has to catch someone's attention, or do i need to sign it.. already did.)
     © trujade 2009, trademarked and all that other good stuff you used to find before the enhancements to move the helpful/answered posts, existed.

so, i, trujade,
    i vote for this to be fixed!

help out microsoft for helping you.. test run 7
    • Changed type •.trujade.• Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:41 PM
    • Moved by nobugz Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:29 AM (From:Visual Basic General)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:38 PM

All replies

• trujade,
    Can you please post such content in the proper forums? This is clearly a FEEDBACK / BUG REPORT, so, why don't you post it in the right section?
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/threads
    Listing SPEC's is not a review !!! :-)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:45 PM
  • this regards the members and their forum!

not feedback/or a bug report, since there is no bug and i would not give feedback for such..

if i want a forum that makes NO SENSE, i would join any other forum on the internet.  this has already been proved to me, but not here.
    this forum is by far the greatest of forums.
    and i'm sure all other msdn forum members can say the same about their forums.

if i could spam all the forums with this post i would..
    i am so upset about having such a great forum turn to nonsense and misunderstanding of the educational replies.

i will still help the members whenever i can with whatever i can..

this will only give the techs extra work to fix the threads that have been wronged by their doing, or whoever approved.  should give them something to do, other than working on something else to wrong the forum...

trujade.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:02 PM
  • It seems like the majority here has no problems!
    If you don't like that answers appear directly underneath the OP's questions, simply adjust your preferences in your MY SETTINGS! If you don't like how the forum works then go to the link I gave you in my previous post and leave your feedback / comment! Your topic has nothing to do with VB .NET but is forum related, so, please, put it in the proper section!

If you think it is too much work for a forum member to adjust his / her preferences in the MY SETTINGS, well, maybe you should try to find a forum that fits your needs better than the MSDN boards! After all, this is a forum provided by Microsoft - you're only guest here and demanding things is not the right thing to do!
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:13 PM
  • It has already been addressed in the forum Earl pointed out...  which IS the right place for such a post if you actually want something to be done.  I agree that this forum is very good but since so many users hop around across the various MSDN forums I personally consider them to be all about equal.

Here's the thread...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/df3ca5a4-70f0-4fee-94ac-0cde74adccd0

...and it's been bothering me too!
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:13 PM
  • thanx for the vote Dig-Boy.
    trujade..
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:17 PM
  • After all, this is a forum provided by Microsoft - you're only guest here and demanding things is not the right thing to do!
    so i guess my demanding never helped anyone.. although, i do not demand, i simply suggest.
    read below, think otherwise.

have you noticed the input code form where you insert your code block..
    why do you think that the language selection is not alphabetized anymore like it was a few months back, and that c# and vb.net are the first ones to select from?

could it be that i sent the tech support an email, as a suggestion, to adjust this for the forums, in order to make the selection more accessible?
    i would think so, since i saw the results within a few days from my sent email to microsoft. . they do listen and care about input to better everyone's microsoft.

now, if microsoft did not listen to their supporters, why would we get a windows 7 CR, to try and send feed back in order to make microsoft better as well as other microsoft software?

i'm glad that other forums have plenty of similar threads, so i'll just leave this thread here, will not ask a moderator to reassign a location for it , since i'm for certain you would not have read such if it was posted somewhere else .

as for setting the settings, i never touched that option, so every new member would get this "scrambled threads", by default, until someone tells them to set their settings..

i for one, preffer the marked answer at the top of the post, as well as being left where it originated from. same for the helpfuls.

this has to be fixed. unless you care less about learning something from a posted thread.
    trujade.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:28 AM
  • trujade,
    stop spaming the wrong forum with your ideas / nonsense! This is really getting annoying! You not only try to kill your time on the expense of others (see your EARNING MEDALS nonsense which has nothing to do within the VB .NET boards), you also not only contribute nonsense replies just to increase your medals; no, you now also start posting stuff within the VB >NET boards even after 2 members told you that this is not the right section!

I am sorry you feel bored all day long! I am sorry your job or school does not keep you occupied or entertain you enough! However, filling your time with 'filling up' the VB boards won't help anyone in a long run - not you, not me nor anyone else who will have to read it one day!

In my opinion you still have to learn a lot about VB Programming. Your answers in some threads here suggest that strongly. So, wouldn't you be better off reading and learning rather than above mentioned stuff? - NO, I don't expect a reply! Have a great day!

Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:41 AM
  • @earl tut..
    if this offends you, just stop reading the post.. there are plenty other threads to be read.. i can post a discussion post on how to eat a cookie, for all i care, and i'm sure no one would really care, if it had good content.

for sure other members do not mind reading something different every now and then..

as for the  earning my medals post, i got to know the forum members a little better. so what if they make you feel as part of a team. right?

and trust me, medals are the last thing i worry about. for all i care take them.. honestly..

just because my level of vb'ing is nowhere close to yours does not make my replies senseless..
    i can reply all i want for all i care, there is no limit to replying.. maybe you should start your own DISCUSSION POST on how many replies we should limit. where you can discuss, whatever you feel need discussing..

so stop replying to this post, i don't need any more nonsense.  start your own post for nonsense.  i already have 2.
    earning my medals and earning my medals 2

i'm trying to solve something with this post.

if you do not have a good suggestion or a solution, do not reply , especially do not make microsoft look bad on your part by yelling at other members for not following your footsteps.  we all step our own steps..

and i did post on the link from Dig-Boy's reply with a link to this one.
    now i get twice the readers..

and about the whole reply you just posted..
    thanx for the nonsense.. is no help to my post ..
    now that that's all done, i should spam the forum with a new post, just to get a clean thread going.
    thanx.
    trujade.

so, i, trujade,
    i vote for this to be fixed!   (the forum enhancement, unless we can fix earl)

EDIT::
    i even helped out with another nonsense discussion:
    Suggest change forum title to Visual Basic .NET General Forum
    link address:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/2f325d73-ff5e-41c2-8f76-cbd8b59ada74
    (should be another good read)

• Edited by •.trujade.• Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:04 AM added extra nonsense..;o)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:19 AM
  • @Trujade, you are putting yourself in a situation where you will need help to solve a problem and everyone here will ignore you entirely because of this kind of threads you created that does not make sense. Also, with all kind of image you added to your posts that so annoying. This is not chat room. If you don't have anything to do, shut down your computer and go to sleep.

kaymaf
    I hope this helps, if that is what you want, just mark it as answer so that we can move on
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:40 AM

• if you do not have a good suggestion or a solution, do not reply , especially do not make microsoft look bad on your part by yelling at other members for not following your footsteps.  we all step our own steps..  

and i'm sure others do as well, so i'm not worried about not getting help when needed.

good to have you yelling at me again kaymaf..
    thanx ;o)
    trujade

(hope the above quote helps, plus i like my smiley footsteps)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:47 AM
  • good thing all the helpful posts got moved to the top, so my post, again, makes no sense. unless you view the time posted.;o/

so, i, trujade,

Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:09 AM
  • trujade,
    it has nothing to do with 'offending me' - I am quite self confident and stay above 'getting my feelings hurt'. In fact, some people on here might find your posts amuseing but I am certain that many many users on here find them annoying.

My knowledge has nothing to do with it! If you would have bothered clicking on my profile you would have learnt that I ask more than answering but mostly I am just sitting and reading to learn a bit more.

As mentioned not only by me: this are the public VB GENERAL FORUMS and if you need a place to relax, well, there are plenty possibilities out there. I sure ignore your 'don't post in my thread anymore' because it isn't YOUR thread even though you started it! Therefore, everyone has the same rights and if I feel it is necessary to respond, I certainly will do so!
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:10 AM

• if you do not have a good suggestion or a solution, do not reply , especially do not make microsoft look bad on your part by yelling at other members for not following your footsteps.  we all step our own steps..  

do i need to make the font bigger?

just read the first line, and replied.  no need reading the stuff that does not help the reason for my post.
    trujade.

so, i, trujade,
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Seriously trujade, whats your age ? How long have you been on internet/communities ?

Thanks

- Omie
    Someone makes my heart skip a clock cycle !
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Trujade,

As I see how some obvious long time users of forums don't use the advances of these forums simply because they don't like those, is in my idea all you do pearls for the swins.

Samples of those are the proposed answer and the use of the threaded display.

Then any thing to do it better by you or Micriosoft will lead to nothing.

I see so many people replying to my replies, while they are in fact writting a new proposed answer or a question to the OP, then I think anything you try to do to make it better, will be obstructed by those persons. 

Therefore, don't blame those guys at Microsoft who makes these things, they are trying to make it better while obstructed by old fashion ideas of some users here.

This is not new, in all times there have been persons who want to obstruct inventions, because they did not understand it. 
    And still we have cars, planes, television etc.

Those who did not want to use them, slowly moved automaticly to the background.

And before I forget, go on in the way you do this kind of things, with the exception of the big bold characters, it is proven that it gives the reactions like you get now.

Cor
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:48 AM
  • i'm 2 and i'm already tired of others trying to lecture me on how to be myself..

if we followed everyone's suggestion, always, we would only have one programming language, one forum, we probably would be all inbred. lol
    so, there is nothing wrong with being different, or my style, as a member. so my smileys stay.

the internet.. since 94/95.. forum communities, recently this year.  i have overlooked other forums before i joined msdn and no one ever gives anyone a hard time for adding a smiley, small jokes, or even some nonsense.  most is appreciated.  even from this forum.

if this was a school, or educational forum, i would not post as such.. this is a public forum. the worst thing about it, is that i cannot type a bad word, or else i get a ____. i'm glad that's there as well.
    you can ignore my question posts, or you can help me.  this only shows what kind of a person you are.

i have no intention to distract anyone from vb.  i view other threads also, and if at first something does not make sense, i close the thread.  but at least i'm glad that there are different threads to be viewed.  and if there are none, i read a discussion post.
    the only readers reading discussion posts, are most likely members that have been on the forum for a while.  so why not say hi every now and then.. even if it is just giggles. 

i'm not a book worm, and vb is just a hobby.. a loved hobby.. i'm not shooting for the stars with my nose in a book all day long to learn vb so i can become a millionare, i just enjoy to program, and to giggle every so often.. nothing wrong with that..

in a post above, about some senseless replies of mine, those replies are from other posted threads, where some members acted as jerks towards to op, and i just quote a small quote from the op, and a understanding for the op, but basically, i let the replying members know that others read the threads as well.  i have a post in my threads, where i delete every reply of mine, even the title name, just because of such behavior.
    maybe this is a reason for the misbehavior of others towards me. because i let them know when things get out of line.

don't worry guys, i edited the reply in the thread link from Dig-Boy.

glad to be a member of a public forum where i can express my public opinion.

trujade..

(some of you guys need to stop trying to lecture and supply more education in your replies.. do this, do that, you'll learn more.. maybe i don't want to learn more, i just need help with what i do know.)
    personally, i keep learning everytime i use a code snippet achieved, especially if simplified in the reply.

and earl tut,
    you do not know anything about me..
    what if i was in a wheelchair, home alone all day with no family and this is the only place where i can relate to someone for a loved hobby of mine, would you still post this?

I am sorry you feel bored all day long! I am sorry your job or school does not keep you occupied or entertain you enough!

i do plan on being a member for quite a while, so get used to my posts and stop being a jerk..
    trujade.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:50 AM
  • you know cor..
    i get so lost in your reading sometimes, i just don't have the words to reply with..
    (good stuff)

glad this is turning into a discussion and not a riot to burn down the msdn tech room for such a odd enhancement.. lol
    at least some members thought so, so they tried to stop me.. and you know what i did..  i ran away.. yep.. really fast.. ;o)

so, cor, does that mean i have another vote?
    not that it makes any difference, they do what they want to do anyways, just thought i'd make my post draw some attention from that neon sign around my discussion topic.. although, it is nice, and draws attention better, thanx earl.
    trujade.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:59 AM
  • trujade said:
    ... and earl tut,
    you do not know anything about me..
    what if i was in a wheelchair, home alone all day with no family and this is the only place where i can relate to someone for a loved hobby of mine, would you still post this?...

trujade,
    I am sure you were the class clown in school! I still would have posted the exact same stuff I've posted before - sitting in a wheel chair wouldn't have made a difference! But yet, you're not in a wheel chair - you are just a joke; unsuccessfully maybe in real life and no friends - at least that would explain a lot!

You claim your threads - especially your EARNING MY MEDAILS nonsense - were 'beautiful and very successful' threads but yet you haven't noticed that the exact same people responded in that thread which respond here in the forums anyway. If you now take a look at the large ammount of members signed up to the MSDN forums you will learn that the majority just ignored it.

Isn't it funny that you just get mad if people say something you don't want to hear? Just look at your own replies: "Stop posting in my thread!" ...

trujade,
    you have not become yet a team player - this is defenitely something you will have to improve if you want to be a valued and helpful member of this forums. Now you sure will go ahead and come up with nonsense such as "following my own steps' and "stop mothering me"; sure - your choice but that will isolate you even more!

I haven't had any trouble on here with members since I joined in 2007; except for a tiny missunderstanding with kaymaf - nothing major though, just different opinions; and most importantly: it didn't escalate!

You instead keep pushing and pushing!
    Telling me at first that I shall not reply in 'your thread' but then calling me by name and address your post directly to me! Well, let me tell you this: if you would have been in a wheel chair with no friends, you might have had enough time to think about how to behave yourself!

trujade,
    even though this might be new to you: the MSDN forums are not your little stage! You're not impressing anyone with such extravagance. Try to fit in a bit more and lets not escalate it any further - I have better things to do than wasting my time on such nonsense!

@Cor Ligthert:
    Cor, somehow your post is a bit confusing! It seems like you promote the changes but yet trujade's complaint is against the recent changes the MSDN Development Team has applied to the forums.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:12 PM
  • was the time you put in the recent reply earl, worth anything?
    not to me..
    thanx anyways.
    trujade.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:30 PM

• (some of you guys need to stop trying to lecture and supply more education in your replies.. do this, do that, you'll learn more.. maybe i don't want to learn more, i just need help with what i do know.)

Hi Trujade.  I think its important to keep in mind that the people who have "lectured" you in all your lengthy comment threads are not just doing it for the sake of harassment.  I believe people like Earl fundamentally care about the quality of the forum and have been pretty civil in trying to ask you to tone down a little but.  In other words, they care about the forum in the same way that you have expressed your appreciation for the forum within this thread.  The fact is that you have a very different style than everyone else here -- as Earl stated well, you treat it like a chat room -- does not sit well with many forum members. 

You of course have the right to act how you choose but I think all the fuss directed toward you is an honest attempt to maintain decorum.  So it's not so much about you as it is about keeping the forum in a state that was established way before you (or I) ever came here.  I don't recall seeing anyone straight out tell you to leave the forum -- and I present this as evidence that it's not as personal as you might think.  If you do actually care about this forum then maybe you'll start listening to the message being told to you repeatedly:  to tone it down (a little, not all the way) and keep it professional.

I was struck by a recent thread of yours where you looked into John Oliver's history on this forum and realized that, though he also has an "eccentric" style of composition, he has done a tremendous job of helping and instructing -- in the best spirit of this forum.  You mentioned feeling somewhat akin to him through that eccentricity and said that you wanted to try to follow his path.  I didn't say so at the time, but that is is a very good goal.  He is a good role model for you I think.  He has a style all his own but focuses his efforts on helping, not self-promoting.

Friday, July 3, 2009 1:22 AM

• It's like Pulp Fiction in here.  Glad I stopped by.

Friday, July 3, 2009 7:09 AM
  • good stuff Dig-boy.. thanx..
    i never harassed anyone for helping me, constantly trying to teach me something i don't want to learn, maybe.
    about 'attempt to maintain decorum' , i agree.. if i were to look up the replies with harsh comments from some of the members towards new members, i would get a endless list..
    this is why i reply sometimes to threads, to let them know of such, not to cause a problem.
    about toning down, you guys get on my case when i get out of line from your steps, so i do as well.
    about self promoting, nothing to promote. just my little site, no advertisements on it to get paid for, nothing to sell.. just my goodies. (slowly improved, but surely)

i really apreciate all and everything mentioned Dig-Boy, not just here, everywhere..
    the stuff above is not to cause more problems or replies as "you probably are a momma's boy, and ride a bike"..
    it is my behalf to be understanded.

and derosnec, if this post would have been left in the original forum, you might have missed out on another Pulp Fiction episode. lol..
    good reply derosnec. ;o)

trujade

Friday, July 3, 2009 8:26 PM
  • The June release introduced a change to the flat thread view by promoting helpful posts and answers at the top of the threads. This we done to give more visibility to what is arguably the most important content in the system: Helpful Answers.

Since this change some key community contributors have voiced their opinion that this default view is confusing as it re arranges an important aspect of a thread's readability, or the "top down" date time ordering of replies.

Hopefully, frequent forums users realize there are four ways to read threads since users can view both the thread and forum preview lists as either threaded or flat. Even though the 'helpful answers' ordering impacts one of these four views, this change has been explained as too confusing. This feedback has been well expressed in a few threads since last week.

I will be posting back to this forum when I know more about changes are coming and when to address this issue. 

Thanks for the input so far and patience on waiting for a resolution!

Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, July 3, 2009 10:34 PM
    Answerer
  • thank you Brent Serbus.
    i mostly posted this discussion, due to my settings being left as default, and any new member will have the same settings set, therefore the posts will be rearranged and hard to understand.  i'm sure this is as well for others that are not members, just view the contents.
    thanx again, and i'll keep the alerts on, in order to receive additional information about such.
    trujade.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Thanks Brent.  I thought this was a bug with the new changes.  Funny, your comment about a feature "confusing" users smacks of another thread in this forum that might not have reached you... 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/10114a0c-2f73-4c22-a011-59f0413d3903

It's an epic-length thread by Paul Clement IV regarding how to properly use the "propose as answer" feature.  It's got some fluff in it but there's a lot of good feedback on the subject.

Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:38 PM