Triple Boot Server 2003, XP Pro, Linux RRS feed

• Question

• I have posted this in two wrong formums....please tell me where to post. Thank you! I'm desperate!

"Let me first say that this is the first time I have posted although it is also the first place I go to for a solution. That being said, I'm probably not posting in the correct forum. Just let me know for future reference.

For the purposes of learning only (currently majoring in IT) I have a Dell with one hard drive that's 640GB. I had/have it set up to dual boot with XP Pro and Server 2003 at the moment. When I performed the dual boot I failed to create my partitions through Disk Management. So when I was installing Server 2003 and I pressed "C" to create a partition, I later realized that it created it as and extended partion instead of another primary partition. (Not sure if that's relevant).

Either way, two primary partitions: one with XP Pro and one Empty. Then I have and extended partition that is separated into two logical drives. Server 2003 is on the first volume of the extended partition and I use the second volume as a backup for my laptop (I know...no no).

Now we are learning Linux and I would like to add a third OS to the empty primary partition. My questions are: Would I do this the same way I did with Server 2003? Also, is it going to cause a problem that Server 2003 is installed on an extended partition? One more thing on that note: Can I convert that extended partition to a primary partition. FYI: I have already tried Partition Magic and I cannot convert although I can copy, but I'm afraid to in case data gets corrupted.

What do you suggest to an avid and aggressive learner such as myself?

Thanks so much in advance!"

Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:23 AM

Answers

• I have posted this in two wrong formums....please tell me where to post. Thank you! I'm desperate!

"Let me first say that this is the first time I have posted although it is also the first place I go to for a solution. That being said, I'm probably not posting in the correct forum. Just let me know for future reference.

For the purposes of learning only (currently majoring in IT) I have a Dell with one hard drive that's 640GB. I had/have it set up to dual boot with XP Pro and Server 2003 at the moment. When I performed the dual boot I failed to create my partitions through Disk Management. So when I was installing Server 2003 and I pressed "C" to create a partition, I later realized that it created it as and extended partion instead of another primary partition. (Not sure if that's relevant).

Either way, two primary partitions: one with XP Pro and one Empty. Then I have and extended partition that is separated into two logical drives. Server 2003 is on the first volume of the extended partition and I use the second volume as a backup for my laptop (I know...no no).

Now we are learning Linux and I would like to add a third OS to the empty primary partition. My questions are: Would I do this the same way I did with Server 2003? Also, is it going to cause a problem that Server 2003 is installed on an extended partition? One more thing on that note: Can I convert that extended partition to a primary partition. FYI: I have already tried Partition Magic and I cannot convert although I can copy, but I'm afraid to in case data gets corrupted.

What do you suggest to an avid and aggressive learner such as myself?

Thanks so much in advance!"

hi ,

an overview

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

yes you should do it the same way , ... but why do they teach you older software ? there are allready new version out , you should focus on those

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? Learn how to remove it + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + PIVOT from Live Labs + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + Microsoft Live Labs + TRANSLATOR + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:33 AM