most files not syncing RRS feed

• Question

• I was using Live Mesh to sync with my old laptop to the Live Desktop.  My old laptop was stolen so now I have a new laptop and I'm trying to get Live Desktop to push the data to my new laptop.  The syncing seems to have started with the folders defined, some files available but most files are placeholders.  It's been 3 days now so there seems to be something wrong.  Can anyone help?
    Friday, September 3, 2010 6:42 PM

Answers

• There are two possibilities, and one is what you suspect. However, if you go to the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com you will see what percentage of space you are using and what it left available to you.

Unfortunately, the second possibility is more likely, based on the error you encounter when trying to download the files from the Live Desktop. The message means that these files were noted by Live Mesh as being new or changed and Live Mesh was waiting for these files to transfer from the old PC to the Live Desktop. They never did, therefore they are only placeholders on the Live Desktop and your Mesh is waiting for the files from the old PC. I'm sorry that your PC was stolen, but unless the theif goes online with your user account, these files will never sync to the Live Desktop and will never be available to your new PC. You should probably remove the old PC from your Mesh at www.mesh.com at your earliest convenience unless you think that the PC might actually come online to upload those files to the Mesh.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:40 PM

All replies

• I picked a folder to unsync and then resynced that folder which was copied to my new laptop from scratch (folder-001).  The same exact files synced again with the remaining placeholders staying as is.  Then I went to these files on LiveDesktop and tried to 'save as' and I get an error "The file has not completed uploading to Live Mesh".

Could it be that my storage limit was reached and these files were never completely backed up?

Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:31 PM
  • There are two possibilities, and one is what you suspect. However, if you go to the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com you will see what percentage of space you are using and what it left available to you.

Unfortunately, the second possibility is more likely, based on the error you encounter when trying to download the files from the Live Desktop. The message means that these files were noted by Live Mesh as being new or changed and Live Mesh was waiting for these files to transfer from the old PC to the Live Desktop. They never did, therefore they are only placeholders on the Live Desktop and your Mesh is waiting for the files from the old PC. I'm sorry that your PC was stolen, but unless the theif goes online with your user account, these files will never sync to the Live Desktop and will never be available to your new PC. You should probably remove the old PC from your Mesh at www.mesh.com at your earliest convenience unless you think that the PC might actually come online to upload those files to the Mesh.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:40 PM