Vista asking for activation out of the blue -- says product key is already in use! RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Vista Ultimate on a new machine in March, after purchasing in on Feb 4th. I activated it right away after installing it (I don't have a date, unfortunately). I thought I was done... and I've been using the machine every day, just to try out Vista before permanently switching to it.

Today, out of the blue (I have not installed new hardware or made any changes) Vista is asking for reactivation. When I do it, it says "The product key you typed is already in use." There is no error code.

Yes, the product key is in use... by me!!

I re-typed the product key into the System control panel twice, with the same result. I'm reading it directly off the package, purchased from Newegg. I performed the genuine advantage diagnostic at the Microsoft website, and everything passed (but you can see that in the MGADiag output, below).

Plus, the activation key worked when I first intalled... otherwise I wouldn't be typing this message on my Vista system... or have been using it every day since March!

Help!!!

--Bob Arthur; Milwaukee WI

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-CTTWY-Q2HHD-MKMT4
    Windows Product Key Hash: oZ27hUhnjX36n9o8ds7MpybEYOg=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-OEM-7347662-95822
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001
    ID: a1813f53-26d6-468c-8bed-0724ec5e89ec
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>a1813f53-26d6-468c-8bed-0724ec5e89ec</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-MKMT4</PKey><PID>89580-OEM-7347662-95822</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3989996848-2763655919-3348390939</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20060811000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4A303507018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:41 PM

Answers

• When you try to log in, you should be presented with a window that gives you four options:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)

2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)

3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)

4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options

a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service

b. Use the automated phone system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll want to choose the 4th one in the first window and the 2nd on in the next window.  It will give you a new installation ID, with which to phone activate.  Please try again until you are successful.  Perhaps you called at a time when call volumes were high and I'm sorry you couldn't get to a representative.

Let me know if you're still seeing the issue once you do phone activate.  Thanks!

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:00 PM

All replies

• Please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573 and let me know if you're still seeing the issue after following those steps.  Thanks!
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:53 AM
  •  Vista Validation Support - MS wrote:
    Please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573 and let me know if you're still seeing the issue after following those steps. Thanks!

The issue still exists.

I read that support page before, but I tried it again. That update (update 931573) was installed on my system on 3/22/07, according to my update history. I think that was the date I activated and installed Vista originally.

Anyway, I downloaded the update again. It wouldn't install, saying "this update does not apply to your system" which is probably because it is already installed.

The resolution on the support page:

If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then activate Windows Vista by telephone.

I tried twice to activate Vista by telephone this afternoon. After typing in all the numbers, it says it can't activate, and offers to connect me to a rep. After about 10 minutes of waiting, it routed me back to the automated activation agent. I disconnected...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Please... Vista is telling me that it will shut down soon, if I don't activate it.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:53 AM
  • So... no answer? Vista has shut down, therefore I can't use a product that I paid for because of an error in Microsoft's validation system. You are losing a customer here...

--Bob Arthur
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:39 PM
  • When you try to log in, you should be presented with a window that gives you four options:

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)

2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)

3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)

4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options

a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service

b. Use the automated phone system

You'll want to choose the 4th one in the first window and the 2nd on in the next window.  It will give you a new installation ID, with which to phone activate.  Please try again until you are successful.  Perhaps you called at a time when call volumes were high and I'm sorry you couldn't get to a representative.

Let me know if you're still seeing the issue once you do phone activate.  Thanks!

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:00 PM
  • I think you changed your hardware. If it isn't too late, use the phone to talk to a representative.

Moderator, I think he can no longer speak; his 3 days have been used up perhaps, can you revive him?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Nope, no hardware changes. I gave up on Vista. I deleted the partition, went back to XP Pro, and I'm very happy.

It will be at least a year before I try Vista again. It wasn't ready for release, obviously.

--Bob Arthur
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:35 AM
  • get a mac
    Monday, April 12, 2010 1:21 AM