Backup wont mount RRS feed

• Question

• This is occuring on each of my clients.

The password has no spaces.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Connection software after cleaning the registry.

Looking at the server's Mycomputer there are only drive C: & D: present. i.e. A temp. use of Z: should be available.

I have tried w/o firewalls on and get the same result. Please help.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:50 PM

All replies

• Roger77 said:

This is occuring on each of my clients.

Has it ever worked?  What is the exact error message you get?

Roger77 said:

The password has no spaces.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Connection software after cleaning the registry.

Registry cleaners...ouch.  Some of those are terrible at guessing what to get rid of.

Roger77 said:

Looking at the server's Mycomputer there are only drive C: & D: present. i.e. A temp. use of Z: should be available.

No, you will not see a Z drive on your server.  You will only see that on your client.  Are you trying to install the Connector software on your server?  Are you mapping a share to your Z drive on your clients?

Roger77 said:

I have tried w/o firewalls on and get the same result. Please help.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Error msg when I attempt to mount backup:

Usage: MountBackup

/p passwordfile

/s server

/u user

/m clientMachineName

/t backupTime

/V volumename

Windows Home Server console saves password files in %appdata% if "Remember password" is checked

My prior note was just covering some suggestions (no Z: drive, clean re-install of connector) that another forum suggested.

Yes I had 3 pc clients registered on the server. I was able to mount backups previously. I added another laptop recently and I'm not sure of when but have lost the ability to mount a backup from any of the clients. I believe I just ran a diagnostic that was sent to Microsoft. Hopefully that might help

Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:00 PM
  •  RE: diagnostic report sent: I think you need this number: CAB 567637624
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Could you please submit this as a bug report on Connect? Include the cab file numbers for both the server logs and the logs on one or more of your clients.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I sent the bug report. So where do I go from here? Should I try to re-install something on the server side? I don't mind losing the backups but don't want to lose my share folder contents.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 2:41 PM
  • I would wait a bit, unless it's critical that you restore a particular file from a backup right now. However, the inability to mount a backup may indicate a problem with the backup database. It's possible, therefore, that repairing the database (a function available in the console) will correct the issue. I would wait for Microsoft to respond to your bug report on Connect, though. That might take a day or two.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 26, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Bummer! I have not heard from MS. I ran a repair. It appears 2 of my clients no longer have backups. The one client that still has backups are still not mountable.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:27 PM