Poor streaming quality over internet RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first post to any forum ever, please be kind. I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with 8GB of ddr2 ram an ati x1300pro graphics card and QX6700 quad core processor with a 2TB western digital hdd. This is a new install and everything seemed to go fine until I tried to stream my videos over the internet with my yourname.homeserver.com website. While all videos start and play the actual video quality is really bad. I have tried to adjust settings such as the video quality low medium high or best. I have tried several different formats of video such as avi mpeg mp4 wmv. Nothing seems to make any difference, even when trying to stream on my own network the quality is really bad. I have been looking for days on forums and google is my friend but not this time. Any insight into this matter would be great.
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 6:08 AM

Answers

• Hey just thought you might want to know that the fan I ordered came in today for the optiplex 745 I mentioned in the original post. There is an optional fan for the HDD that did not come with this PC, it wasn't needed untill the cpu upgrade. After installing the fan my videos appear to be looking much better. I am not sure but it could have been throttling the cpu because of excess heat. I will test for awhile and if it seems to be better, if it is I will mark this post as answered.
    • Edited by keilor290 Monday, January 30, 2012 8:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by keilor290 Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:44 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

is streaming also that slow, if you connect from within your home, using the internal name of your server?

If this is not the case, you may have delivered not enough data for analysis. Because the bottleneck in this case is not mandatory the server, it can be your Internet connection. The upload rate of the most home connections is often only a small part of the download bandwidth.

Also this upload bandwidth from your home is shared with any other device in your home, which attempts to communicate with the Internet at the same time. And videos usually need a relatively high and stable bandwidth to play without interruption. Of course also the encoding of the video plays a role in the required bandwidth.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:11 AM
  • Hi Olaf, well there is nothing else using up bandwidth during my tests. Speakeasy speed test shows download speed of 25Mbps download and upload of 4.28Mbps. Its not that the video buffers alot its the actually quality of the video picture. The people all look pixelated or blurry especially during fast moving scenes. I just did a fresh install on my core i7 920 machine with a nvidia gtx 295 graphics card and 12 gigs of ddr3 ram and the video is still poor. What am I doing wrong? Forgot to mention yes this is from within home network.
    • Edited by keilor290 Monday, January 30, 2012 1:29 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:28 PM
  • If you copy the file to the local machine, does it look better in this case? (Just to exclude, that it has something to do with either the video itself or the local machines capability to play it.)

What happens, if you temporary deactivate the online guard of your virus scanner and in case you have a 3rd party firewall software on the client running, this too?

The network adapter drivers on both ends are builtin from Windows or downloaded from the maker of the network chip (i.e. Intel, Broadcomm, Realtek)?

For testing you could also disable strange network adapter features like TCP-Packet and Task Offloading capabilities. These seem sometimes to do not the best job especially with onboard adapters.

Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 1:55 PM
  • HI, Thanks for getting back to me. I have played it on the local machine and it looks as it should. No third party firewall, and no virus scanner on the server side but I can try on the client side. I am running Avast antivirus on my Win7 pc. The network adapter on the Win7 machine says Marvell yukon and on whs 2011 it says Broadcom NetXtreme, is that what I am looking for? When I go to the adapter settings I do not see TCP-Packet and Task Offloading capabilities anywhere in the configuration. I want to add that the video was better when I was using a pentium D dual core cpu @ 3.4Ghz, now I have a QX6700 quad installed @ 2.66Ghz and it seems worse. Any thougths on this? Also thank you very much for taking the time to help me.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Hey just thought you might want to know that the fan I ordered came in today for the optiplex 745 I mentioned in the original post. There is an optional fan for the HDD that did not come with this PC, it wasn't needed untill the cpu upgrade. After installing the fan my videos appear to be looking much better. I am not sure but it could have been throttling the cpu because of excess heat. I will test for awhile and if it seems to be better, if it is I will mark this post as answered.
    • Edited by keilor290 Monday, January 30, 2012 8:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by keilor290 Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:44 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Now that would be something, I would not have considered. But sometimes its really the hardware and not the software.

So maybe, you are on the right track.

Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:44 PM
  • I think it is the problem. The Dell Optiplex 745 in the small form factor with a QX6700 quad core running in it. That generates some heat! I was staying at about 15 degrees from the max temp while trying to stream and now it is more like 25. Who would have thought that another fan would make such a difference. Thanks so much for your quick replies and all the advice it was much appreciated.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:18 AM