off topic - Wi-FI Printer RRS feed

• General discussion

• My pc is wired from router to pc and wireless for printer, because my laptop is wireless and is wirless to printer.

the laptop is protected by Pcillin for a while longe. My question is: Do I need wireless protection for my PC to printer, if I do how do I do this.

Thank you for your time.

Tom

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:55 PM

All replies

• Tom, 

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare.

However, it isn't that you need to provide wireless protection between the PC and the printer, but you need to enable security on your network for the wireless connection. You will need to consult the documentation for your wireless router on how to do this and this also means that you will need to configure the printer to use that secure connection as the current connection to the network will no longer work. It won't change anything on your PC unless the PC is using a wireless connection to the router, which you stated it isn't. With an open wireless network, anyone in range of your router can access your Internet connection and potentially your computer, too, depending on how  the firewall on your PC is configured.

-steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Thank you steve  you helped

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:54 PM