.dat files RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to story the .dat files in some directory other than the one being synchronized - e.g., a special-purpose settings directory?   If not, I'd appreciate such a feature.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What are the reasons that you find you do not want to put the .dat files under the directory being synchronized?

Thanks
    Deepa

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:06 PM
  • I have directories dedicated exclusively to my written work.   I want to keep them that way.   Moreover the sync files don't fit with certain naming conventions I use, designed for command-line file management.  (I use multiple backup methods to multiple locations, and it would be a pain to exclude these files in some of my backup routines.)  Finally I don't want a proliferation of files in directories where easy search, of content and/or filename, is important to me on a daily basis.

What is the function of the files?   Will the program continue to operate, even with somewhat reduced functionality, if I delete them, or at least the older ones?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:45 PM
  • I too have a .dat priblem.  I have an iPhone (2.0 software, but the same problem occurred with 1.0 software) to which I sync on a fairly regular basis.  In some (not all, however) subdirectories of my IE favorites, I see grayed-out .AppleSyncInfo files.  After syncing, these grayed-out files files are followed by scores, hundreds, even thousands of .dat files (1 KB each) in those favorites subdirectories.  When I go to use my favories and look in these subdirectories while on IE, these .dat files jam me up -- I have to wade through them all to reach the favorites.  The more .dat files I have, the longer it takes to reach my desired favorite.  I'd like not to have these .dat files at all; and if I must keep them, I'd like to isolate them in a file I need not access.  Is there anything I can do?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Can you confirm that these .dat files are of the format SyncToy_*.dat.  We use this file to keep information about the folder itself - so there should just be one of these files created per folder per folder pair. It is unlikely we create even 10's of these files and even then the size if likely to be larger than 1 KB.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:21 PM
  • I would also require a feature to avoid the marker files, as i use sync toy to echo a sharepoint site for offline access of the sharepoint content.
    But then the
    SyncToy_[ID].dat file appears also on the sharepoint web interface which is confusing to all other users of our company sharepoint.
    In the help it is stated that the marker files are used for the dynamic drive letter assignment feature. It would be great to have the option to turn this off in order to avoid writing to a source folder that is potentially accessed by others.
    If i delete the marker files after synchronisation, it is not possible to sync another time.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Hi -

Are you using SyncToy 2.0? In the final 2.0 version - you should be able to delete the marker file ( from under the root folder) and your sync should sync - just the drive letter feature will not work.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:11 PM
  • I think i have the latest version cause i downloaded and installed just last week. The version statet in the About-window says: "Version 2.0.100.0 Built 8/12/2008 2:07:12 PM"

After the initial synchronization, I close SyncToy, then delete both .dat files from source and target folder and restart SyncToy. When I try to sync the folder, I get the following error message:

"This folder pair cannot be synchronized because Sync Toy cannot find the correct marker file in the folder [Sync Folder Name]. Please recreate the folder pair if this is the correct drive and folder to synchronize."

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Sorry - you are right. We do look for the existence of that marker file. And if you hit yet, we will recreate that file each time so that would be annoying as well.

The only workaround I can think of at this time is that when setting up the folder pair ( creation for the first time) - make that source folder briefly read-only so that we cannot write the marker file. If we cannot write that marker file the first time, we will quit searching for it then. And once the folder pair creation is done - put the original attributes back.I know you are talking about a shared location that other people use and may not appreciate you making read-only even briefly but other than that I cannot think of a workaround.

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:47 AM
  • I get this same message (also using v2.0) but I am not deleting any files.  Every time I go to run Synctoy for my music files sync I get this message and am forced to recreate the folder pair.  Any ideas what cause this.  It's not a big deal but it is an inconvenience.

The folders reside on a) external USB drive and B) NAS drive - I'm not sure if this would have any imapct but thought it worth mentioning.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Sorry - you are right. We do look for the existence of that marker file. And if you hit yet, we will recreate that file each time so that would be annoying as well.

The only workaround I can think of at this time is that when setting up the folder pair ( creation for the first time) - make that source folder briefly read-only so that we cannot write the marker file. If we cannot write that marker file the first time, we will quit searching for it then. And once the folder pair creation is done - put the original attributes back.I know you are talking about a shared location that other people use and may not appreciate you making read-only even briefly but other than that I cannot think of a workaround.

Thanks

Deepa

I am having a similar problem. I would have liked to use SyncTOY to take one data source, namely a folder, and pump that folder on to two different external and removable hard drives on a bi-daily basis. Disk1 gets used Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Disk2 gets used Tuesday and Thursday. Problem is that SyncTOY needs these .dat files and when i run it oni Disk1, it updates the source directories in such a way as when i enter Disk2 on Tuesday that it tells me i have to recreate the folder pair again.

Is there a way i can force it to think that it's the first run, EVERY time. And just have it test both directory structures and sync up what is ACTUALLY there as opposed to what is in the .DAT files?

Thanks,
    Duncan
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:00 PM
  • In fact. I think that i'm going to use JFileSync. Check it out. It's brilliant. Makes SyncTOY appear to mimic the latter part of it's name. Trust M$ to try but to fail :( Yeah, i'm using IE-7 for this, as it doesn't work in FF :D

All the best. Oh, and JFileSync can be found at J File Sync

Cheers,
    Dunk

Peace..
    http://www.realityinfo.org
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:34 PM