Not sure if WHS is for me RRS feed

• General discussion

• So I built a NAS box for my home media. Just not sure home server is for me. For one there is no decent free antivirus. I dont really need the automated backups. Just a simple NAS device. Although remote access is nice. IF I was running decent free antivirus.

Looking for opinions here. I am thinking of either going with freeNAS or windows 7.

Or am I just paranoid?

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:08 PM not a technical question
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:08 PM not a technical question
    Friday, May 28, 2010 4:12 AM

All replies

• http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/03/21/add-in-update-clamav-0-1-6/

In beta last I checked but...could be a solution for you.

Quite frankly, WHS does so much, so easily, you'd be crazy not to check it out.  :)  Sharing media files seems to be a priority for you.  Done.  Remote access.  Done.  How about complete backups of each of your computers...backups that are ridiculously easy to restore from when your computers hard drive eventually craps out.  That alone is worth the price of admission.

Windows 7 is very nice...but...if it's not your "front end" computer, it's niceties are kind of wasted.  NASes are useful, but...not as useful as WHS.

Friday, May 28, 2010 5:38 AM
  • The need for an antivirus app on a server can be debated at length. I think
    there's a trial product from McAfee that you might be able to run for a few
    months...

Although the WHS is "on" the Internet, connections to it are all via HTTP or
    HTTPS, or RDP.

Infection is most likely to occur from the home network, which you have
    control over.

Try it out.

"amjranaudo" <6b51b05b-3c45-4699-b152-c8ff5f2dc47e@invalid.com> wrote in
    news:68b7da2d-67b0-4aa3-9fc1-9bd53bf1b039@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    So I built a NAS box for my home media. Just not sure home server is for me.
    For one there is no decent free antivirus. I dont really need the automated
    backups. Just a simple NAS device. Although remote access is nice. IF I was
    running decent free antivirus.
    Looking for opinions here. I am thinking of either going with freeNAS or
    windows 7.

Or am I just paranoid?

Bill Sanderson
    Friday, May 28, 2010 5:31 PM
  • I must say after about 2 weeks of using WHS I am completely impressed.  Extremely easy to set up.  I used an older machine and it loaded up with no issues.  Added a internal SATA car and 3x2TB drives and I was off.  Backing up 4 different pcs.  Here is a Microsoft site that explains some of the features in a little more depth....   
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/support.mspx
    Good luck...
    • Edited by Thumperyz69 Saturday, May 29, 2010 3:30 AM hypertext wrong
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 2:54 AM