none
WHS - Can't get Remote Access working - Have troubleshooting answers below RRS feed

• Question

• Required Questions for Troubleshooting

1.       Which version of Windows Home Server are you running? This information can be found in the Settings area of the Windows Home Server Console.

Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3

2.       What is the make/model of your router? Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?

dLink DIR-615            No

3.       Who is your Internet Service Provider? If you are using DSL, who is your provider and what is the make and model of your DSL modem?

Earthlink DSL                ZyXEL P-600 series

4.       What is your external IP Address  as displayed in your router? (This is useful for determining if NAT issues exist)

192.168.1.33 - I found that my DSL modem is acting as a DHCP Server

5.       Can you connect to http://yourname.homeserver.com from:

a.       Inside your home

No

b.      Your office or other workplace

n/a

c.       An additional location (coffee shop, friend’s house)

No

6.       What is the error message you receive when attempting to access your Remote Access website?

Firefox – Unable to Connect

7.       When you do an nslookup or ping  yourname.homeserver.com, does it resolve to your actual external IP address? You can find this address in your router, or by using a website like http://whatismyipaddress.com from within your home network.

Yes

8.       Inside your homenetwork, can you successfully visit http://servername ? If not, what is the error message you receive?

Not sure I understood this one.

9.       Is UPnP enabled on your router? If not, please turn UPnP on and retry the Remote Access Configuration wizard.

Yes

10.   Have you tried to manually forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 through to your Windows Home Server?

Yes

11.   From a PC on your home network, can you successfully complete the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool without errors? If there are errors, what are they?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd

Network Address Translator type – Not Supported

Traffic Congestion Test – Not Run

TCP High Performance Test – Not Run

Monday, March 22, 2010 1:27 AM

All replies

• If your DSL modem is acting as a DHCP server (I agree it is), please configure it to operate in bridge mode instead. You'll find instrucitons in the manual for the modem, on the manufacturer's web site, or failing both of those options you should be able to get the information you need from your ISP.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Thanks, Ken. I finally got around to reconfiguring my DSL modem to bridge mode and setting the dLink router to PPPoE mode. While configuring the router I attempted to set a reserved IP address for my Asus TS-Mini server. The router found that the MAC address for the server started with 90 and would not accept that as a valid address. The work-around was to use a remote connection to set the server's NIC to a static IP address and set the DNS server IPs to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3.

The server still cannot be accessed through a browser inside the home, but from Starbucks it worked like a champ, both through port 80 and through port 443.

Thanks again.

Tom

Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:13 AM
  • I was able to use a Remote Desktop connection to the TS-Mini server to change the MAC address. I used the device manager to get IP properties for the NIC and on the advanced tab set the Network Address to 00faceddecaf. I then set it back to dynamic IP address and dynamic DNS. I rebooted the server and made appropriate changes to my router configuration and was able to reserve an IP address for the server. So all is dynamic now and can roll with whatever changes come from my ISP.

I also learned that I can access the WHS through a browser inside the house using http://servername.

The only thing I have not been able to do is establish a remote connection to a PC at home. I don't see a Computers tab when I access the WHS from outside the  house.

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:26 AM
  • I was able to use a Remote Desktop connection to the TS-Mini server to change the MAC address. I used the device manager to get IP properties for the NIC and on the advanced tab set the Network Address to 00faceddecaf. I then set it back to dynamic IP address and dynamic DNS. I rebooted the server and made appropriate changes to my router configuration and was able to reserve an IP address for the server. So all is dynamic now and can roll with whatever changes come from my ISP.

I also learned that I can access the WHS through a browser inside the house using http://servername.

The only thing I have not been able to do is establish a remote connection to a PC at home. I don't see a Computers tab when I access the WHS from outside the  house.

You need to use Internet Explorer (or the IE add-on for Firefox) in order for the Computers tab to show up.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Thanks. I discovered that after my last post. I also discovered that I can't control any of the PCs at home because they are all running XP Home rather than XP Pro.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Can some one please explain why WHS only works if you have a Modem in Bridged Mode AND! have a Router handling the DHCP address. But if you have Modem handling DHCP you have no chance in ____ of it working?......

By the way I have a "Actiontec GT724WGR" Modem and no Router at this time. AND NO my ISP is not blocking ANY ports...

Joseph Fischer
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 2:07 AM