Why won't ProjDateDiff work for Group By Summary lines? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody know why ProjDateDiff as a formula won't work on Group By Summary lines?  It works on summary lines.  The results are the same on Project 2010 and 2013. 

Is this a bug, er I mean feature?

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 7:48 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the clues.  The issue is that Group By Summary wants a calendar specified in ProjDateDiff.  However, what works for Group by Summary does not work for Summaries and non-Summaries.  See the example below of three different formulas going from Duration2 to Duration4.  In Duration4 we used a IIf statement to determine if the row is a Group By Summary then used a Calendar.  I still think this a bug.
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:24 AM
  • What a lousy image.  Here is the formula that used for Duration2 which will process for GroupBySummary, but provide errors for everything else:

ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],Task Calendar)

Here is the formula used for Duration3 which will process for everything but GroupBySummary:

ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish])

Here is the formula that works for all of the above and is the work-around that we will use:

IIf([Group By Summary],ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],Task Calendar),ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish]))

Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I can confirm, that it is not working, when I define "use formula" for calculation of task and group summary. It is working for each selection in "Roll Up". It just depends on the available fields for the summary. E.g. there is no Start and Finish date available, so calculation for a difference can not be performed. Not sure, what you include into your formula, but I am quite sure, that these dates are also empty when grouping?

Does that make sense?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:50 AM
  • I tested the fields "duration" and "number", and grouped them by creating user custom "text1" field (but the issue occurs on any group). I wish i could put an image or a file here...
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:55 AM
  • Thanks for the clues.  The issue is that Group By Summary wants a calendar specified in ProjDateDiff.  However, what works for Group by Summary does not work for Summaries and non-Summaries.  See the example below of three different formulas going from Duration2 to Duration4.  In Duration4 we used a IIf statement to determine if the row is a Group By Summary then used a Calendar.  I still think this a bug.
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:24 AM
  • What a lousy image.  Here is the formula that used for Duration2 which will process for GroupBySummary, but provide errors for everything else:

ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],Task Calendar)

Here is the formula used for Duration3 which will process for everything but GroupBySummary:

ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish])

Here is the formula that works for all of the above and is the work-around that we will use:

IIf([Group By Summary],ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],Task Calendar),ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish]))

Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:28 AM
  • Congratulation for solving!!!!

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

@lousy image:after downloading, it is readable. This is necessary in most cases here :)

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:30 AM