abserver -syncnow "function not available when RTCSRV service is not running" RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to force a re-sync of the address book after changing the Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt

However i am getting an error when I run the command.

The servers in the OCS pool are working and all the services are running. (Load balancer set for DNAT)

The OCS Address Book Server is running at 1.30 every day ok.

I have tried running the command from all the servers in the pool.

I am also getting an error in the event log "DCOM 10009

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer "OCSPOOLname.Company.COM" using any of the configured protocols.

Thanks for any idea.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:21 PM

Answers

•  

I was able to get information that confirmed that if DNATMode is set to true that traffic over port 135 will not work, which abserver does utilize that port to do its work.

So in instances when we have to run the abserver -syncnow command, we will have instructions to modify the host file to point the poolname to the server so it bypasses the load balancer.  The only time this should have to be done is when there are address book issues and we have found those to be rare in our environment.

Also, we have found that this impacts the move users, which we typically run from our FrontEnd servers for administrative purposes.  So we now will have to run this from another server that is not behind the load balancers, such as the Web Components server, since it also uses Port 135.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 10:11 PM

All replies

•  

I'm having exactly the same trouble - this is a clean, by-the-book insteall of OCS Enterprise (DNAT SLB too).
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:03 PM
  • I also am getting this error.  Did anyone find a resolution to the problem?

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Afraid I never did get a solution. I will see if I can get some help from MS.

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  

I was able to get information that confirmed that if DNATMode is set to true that traffic over port 135 will not work, which abserver does utilize that port to do its work.

So in instances when we have to run the abserver -syncnow command, we will have instructions to modify the host file to point the poolname to the server so it bypasses the load balancer.  The only time this should have to be done is when there are address book issues and we have found those to be rare in our environment.

Also, we have found that this impacts the move users, which we typically run from our FrontEnd servers for administrative purposes.  So we now will have to run this from another server that is not behind the load balancers, such as the Web Components server, since it also uses Port 135.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Thanks.

Just for my curiosity do you have any other information on how setting the pool to operate in SNAT v DNAT changes the operations of the pool?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Not yet, as we are just in the beginning phases of our functionality testing.  But if we identify any more, I will try to remember to post them out here.

Thanks

Donna

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:11 PM