none
Duplicate Posts are Allowed RRS feed

• Question

• At least in the Technet manifestation of the software.

I wlll try duplicate posting in MSDN as well.
    (Heck, might as well try it here...)

Yep, duplicates are allowed.

NOT GOOD!
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:50 PM

Answers

• We do not prohibit duplicate posts. There are a few reasons someone would end up posting duplicates:

1. bad ui that doesn't respond, so the user keeps clicking the submit button
    2. spam
    3. a user posts a legitimate question that already exists or is answered

#1 should be fixed in the application. I can't seem to repro this but if someone can intentially submit multiple times in the same entry window, we would want to address that.

#2 is a legitimate concern and we are looking into ways to deal with this. LiveID requirement and the ability to ban users, along with moderation functionality should help reduce this. And realize that an application can only really do so much with respect to this issue.

#3 We do have some functinality built into the application, similar to forums 2.x, which renders related messages, when users type in new threads. This is being looked at in future releases as the current implementation is not as discoverable as it could be.

Note: the legacy forums 2.x application does a non duplicate check but it is against exact matches. I don't necessarily think that implementing that is very helpful. If I am missing some other point or concern, please let me know.
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:51 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Thanks Arnie- As mentioned in your other duplicate post, a bug has been logged and this issue is being investigated.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Hi Arnie-

This has been reviewed and it has been closed by design. We thank you for your continued support and feedback.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:58 AM
  • Yes Arnie it's true we don't do anything to prevent it, do you see this as a problem.

Do you mean complete 100% duplicate posts or threads?
    Sam Jarawan STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Friday, February 22, 2008 5:53 AM
  • I really do see it as a problem.

In the current forums, we often get multiple copies of the same post.

Sometimes the user just hits the [Post] button repeated because the system is slow in response and there is no other feedback that the click was registered and that action will happen.

Sometimes, the user does a copy/paste and re-submits because he/she wants more exposure, or he/she didn't see the post listed in the thread listing due to system latency.

Othertimes, there are 'hiccups' in the system, and for whatever reason, completely duplicate post are accepted.

It doens't have to be 'perfect', but some attempts to reduce duplicate posts would be appreciated.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Arnie Rowland said:

I really do see it as a problem.

In the current forums, we often get multiple copies of the same post.

Sometimes the user just hits the [Post] button repeated because the system is slow in response and there is no other feedback that the click was registered and that action will happen.

Sometimes, the user does a copy/paste and re-submits because he/she wants more exposure, or he/she didn't see the post listed in the thread listing due to system latency.

Othertimes, there are 'hiccups' in the system, and for whatever reason, completely duplicate post are accepted.

It doens't have to be 'perfect', but some attempts to reduce duplicate posts would be appreciated.

Thanks Arnie for the reply. This information will be passed on to the product team.
    Program Manager, Sustained Engineering Team
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:50 AM
  • We do not prohibit duplicate posts. There are a few reasons someone would end up posting duplicates:

1. bad ui that doesn't respond, so the user keeps clicking the submit button
    2. spam
    3. a user posts a legitimate question that already exists or is answered

#1 should be fixed in the application. I can't seem to repro this but if someone can intentially submit multiple times in the same entry window, we would want to address that.

#2 is a legitimate concern and we are looking into ways to deal with this. LiveID requirement and the ability to ban users, along with moderation functionality should help reduce this. And realize that an application can only really do so much with respect to this issue.

#3 We do have some functinality built into the application, similar to forums 2.x, which renders related messages, when users type in new threads. This is being looked at in future releases as the current implementation is not as discoverable as it could be.

Note: the legacy forums 2.x application does a non duplicate check but it is against exact matches. I don't necessarily think that implementing that is very helpful. If I am missing some other point or concern, please let me know.
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:51 PM
    Answerer