IIS Media Services and Vail RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in streaming my media content (audio & video) to my iPhone. I believe I have a couple of options here. I could try installing server software such as Orb or Air Video but then I will have to buy their apps from the app store. Being the cheapskate that I am, the new IIS Media Services 4.0 (which requires IIS 7) got me excited. It apparently can transcode several formats of audio and video on the fly to h264 codec (native to iPhone) and can perform smooth streaming. Has anyone tried installing IIS Media Services on Vail and any luck with streaming to iPhone or iPod touch? Here is a link to a demo of a video served by IIS Media Services to iPhone: http://www.iis.net/iPhone 
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:39 AM

Answers

• Reading over the capabilities of IIS Media Services and the smooth streaming player, many of them are already in Vail. However, I don't think they're provided via IIS Media Services, and I figure there's a pretty good chance you'll interfere with the functioning of the Remote Access web site if you install IIS Media Services.

That said, it would be worth a try. After all, Vail is still a beta product, so you haven't committed any irreplaceable data to your Vail Server, right? :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:00 AM

All replies

• Reading over the capabilities of IIS Media Services and the smooth streaming player, many of them are already in Vail. However, I don't think they're provided via IIS Media Services, and I figure there's a pretty good chance you'll interfere with the functioning of the Remote Access web site if you install IIS Media Services.

That said, it would be worth a try. After all, Vail is still a beta product, so you haven't committed any irreplaceable data to your Vail Server, right? :)

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:00 AM
  • To let medial stream out of Vail you have to have silverlight installed on your Iphone or Blackberry.

I do not know if silverlight is out for Iphones or Blackberry yet.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:02 PM

IIS Media Services is an update to IIS Server and it must theoretically be independent of the OS. But yes, you are right. The definitive answer would be to go ahead and try it.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:03 PM
  • To let medial stream out of Vail you have to have silverlight installed on your Iphone or Blackberry.

I do not know if silverlight is out for Iphones or Blackberry yet.

That's correct. This is the reason I am interested in IIS Media Services since it obviates third party plug-ins such as Silverlight.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:06 PM
  •  
    wonder what would happen it this was installed on Vail...

one of the bullet points is very interesting

"Transform Manager. Enables conversion of on-demand media files to Smooth
    Streaming presentations for Smooth Streaming-compatible clients and enables
    conversion of Smooth Streaming presentations to MPEG-2 TS segments that can be
    played by Apple devices. "

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, June 28, 2010 7:16 PM