ShareView Timeout and/or Screen Savers RRS feed

• Question

•  

I started a session on my home computer in the hopes I could access it from my hotel that night.  When I came home, before leaving for the motel and trying to access the home computer I decided to check it.  I noted that the session had ended/closed before I even had a chance to try it.  I don't know if the session went down because of an inactivity timer and/or my password required screen saver?

How long will an initiated session stay active without any activity?

Thank you.

Monday, May 21, 2007 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi MJH10,

Thank you for using our Beta product. You are correct about the SharedView session being ended due to inactivity. Currently if there are no acitivy within a session for 20 minute the session will be closed automatically. Activity is defined has participant joining/leaving the session, file uploaded/deleted and app sharing control change occured (i.e. app share host grant control, partcipant request control and host granted control, starting new app to share, and stopping app being shared). If app sharing is active and no activity occured, session will also be closed automatically but within 2 hours.

What would you like to see changed about this design and what usage scenario do you intend to use SharedView for with the changes?

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:57 AM

All replies

• Hi MJH10,

Thank you for using our Beta product. You are correct about the SharedView session being ended due to inactivity. Currently if there are no acitivy within a session for 20 minute the session will be closed automatically. Activity is defined has participant joining/leaving the session, file uploaded/deleted and app sharing control change occured (i.e. app share host grant control, partcipant request control and host granted control, starting new app to share, and stopping app being shared). If app sharing is active and no activity occured, session will also be closed automatically but within 2 hours.

What would you like to see changed about this design and what usage scenario do you intend to use SharedView for with the changes?

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:57 AM
  • What would you like to see changed about this design and what usage scenario do you intend to use SharedView for with the changes?

I would like to see a user setting that would allow the host to set the inactivity parameter--something different than the screen saver inactivity timer.  In my case I would likely set this to something like seven days--maybe even longer if I am away on vacation.

I travel exensively and was assuming this application might work similar to NetMeeting application sharing.  In that senario, I would log into my home computer from my motel and be able to view fiels and run applications remotely.  I thought I could do the same thing with ShareView.  I have my home computer set to actrivate a screen saver with a password to keep the "kids" from messing with my system while I am away.  ShareView should stay active and when I log in remotely, it should wake to the screen saver password prompt.

Friday, May 25, 2007 4:53 AM
  • Thanks MJH10 for the detailed feedback. It is great to learn about customer scenario that our beta product doesn't fully support and what the customer pain points are. I will open a suggestion to our product team based on your scenario and track it for our next release, thanks.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 4:19 PM
  • I agree on needing a setting to configure the length of inactivity or timeout. My situation is that I've been using it to demo applications to overseas contractors where there could be an 8+ hour laps. Having the ability to setup the session and send them instructions without having to physically be present would be very valuable.

Thanks

BL

Sunday, June 8, 2008 7:25 AM
  • I agree just the same. I tried to open ShareView often earlier than 20 minutes in preparation for a later use until I noticed that it will close if inactive.

It would be very useful to have a customizable option granular enough to set time out from minutes to days.

Thanks

Steve

Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:25 PM