none
Restore wizard fails with "unable to refresh restore wizard from your server" RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to restore my Thinkpad T61p - 4GB ram, 160GB hard disk. Machine is running Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit. 
    The disk is bitlocker encrypted. So there is a small system partiition 1.5GB also. Both partitions are included in the backups. 

WHS is up to date, and is running PP3. The restore CD  (Published on Nov 23, 2009) was downloaded from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=26881305-91CC-4F37-B1FC-3813C423DF2C&displaylang=en. 

ClientRestoreWizard.exe on both the home server and restore CD is version 6.0243.0 (whspp3.091007-1218). 

What is happening: 
    1. The client machine (to be restored) boots up with restore CD, and connects fine to the home server.
    2. I select the desired backup to restore. Map the two backup partitions to partitions on disk.
    3. Restore starts, time counts down to about "30 mins left", and then it displays the message box "unable to refresh restore wizard from your server".
    4. It falls back to  the older version of restore wizard. 
    5. I step through the selection, and then time winds down to about "30 mins left", at which point it just restarts. No error/warning message. Just goes away.
    6. The disk is still in the unrestored state.

Things I have already tried: 
    1. Both wizard modes - less than 500MB ram and more than 500MB ram.
    2. Supplying "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" drivers to restore wizard via a USB stick.
    3. Took out the laptop drive and connected it via a SATA->USB connector on a different machine. Attempted the restore from that machine, ran into exactly the same behavior.

This is my main computer and not being able to restore it has been very disappointing and frustrating. 

I searched for other reports of this issue, and there have been very few, and none of them have a workaround/resolution.

I'll appreciate any workarounds, or suggestions on what else to try.

Thanks.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 5:29 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem on my Dell XPS One 24" with Win7 Ultimate 32-bit. My 750GB hard drive failed, so Dell sent a replacement. I restored from WHS, using the same Nov 23 CD, without event (except having to find network drivers and the whole restore taking a very long time), but then the replacement drive started making a clicking noise and slowed way down to the point it wouldn't start Windows. Dell sent a second replacement.

With the second replacement, I booted into the RestoreWizard, which took 15 hours on the restore until it resulted in the "unable to refresh RestoreWizard from your server" error message. Very unpleasant. It is now trying again. Fingers crossed.

Each time I restored the main drive to slightly different partition sizes, because the replacement drives came pre-imaged.

Anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm running the HP 470 with WHS PP3.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 7:57 AM
  • The restore last night failed with an error indicating a network problem in contacting the home server. I had to restart the restore.

When I got up this morning, the RestoreWizard progress bar was at 100%, but it reported "Estimated time to completion: 24692 days, 0 hours, 12 minutes." Although the hard drive light was still flashing, I canceled the restore and am trying again (seems that might have been a mistake)--this time by creating both the C and D partitions to their original sizes first, and then restoring both. Fingers crossed.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 7:58 PM
  • This is an older thread, but try and reformat the destination partition to NTFS prior to restoring the volume that is BitLocker encrypted. It seems WHS restore may have an issue restoring to a destination drive formatted in RAW.

Michael Wheatfill

Sunday, June 6, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Michael's suggestion is right on - thank you!

I'm adding this note as it might help a few people and probably my future self :-) because I always forget this stuff:

If the restore of a drive with a Bitlocker partition fails with the message "Unable to refresh RestoreWizard from your server. Your server may be an older version...", then you must take the opportunity offered to you during the restore process to enter the Disk Management tool, and delete and NTFS format the Bitlocker partition.

WHS restore apparently does not like the RAW format of the Bitlocker partition.

You will have to turn Bitlocker on again after the restore.

This applies to WHS Power Pack 3 with the latest restore disk.

I experienced this problem on a ThinkPad, but it is probably not dependent on that.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:44 PM