Whs 2001 and nas RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and good evening,  I bought Windows Home Sever 2011 and I can't seem to get it to connect to NAS for backups but have been unable to locate a way to back the server up over the network.  Is even such a thing possible?  If not then is there another way?
    Matthew Lechtenberg Matt-cast.com owner
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:59 AM

All replies

• Backing your server up over your home network isn't supported, I'm afraid. It's possible to do it anyway, if you know how to configure iSCSI and if your NAS supports iSCSI, but I really wouldn't recommend it. To secure your data, use an external drive on your server for backups, and take it off-site.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:35 AM
  • What do you mean by security like my LAN is hackable?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:59 AM
  • What about finding a way for it to auto ftp the backup files to the NAS?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:12 AM
  • By "secure your data", I mean make sure you have a copy that will survive a disaster. "Disaster" doesn't mean (hard drive failure", it means "your house burns down", "all your electronics are stolen", a hurricane floods your house to the roof (see e.g. Pittston, PA where this happened to some homeowners last week), etc.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:38 AM
  • If you can set it up, and you trust the software you use to work reliably, then go ahead. It's still not "supported". The only supported way to back up your data is to connect an external drive and use the built in server backup functionality.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:39 AM
  • Ok sounds good.  Thank you very much,  now can I ask one last question,  is there away to have windows home server backup the nas then?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Ok sounds good.  Thank you very much,  now can I ask one last question,  is there away to have windows home server backup the nas then?
    Not directly - you need Connector software installed to allow backups to your Server and that can't be installed on a NAS. You could use something like Robocopy or Synctoy to COPY data from your NAS to the Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:59 PM