Offsite backup recommendations anyone? RRS feed

• Question

• A WHS is hosting a central archive for a group of consultants. Every night an offsite backup must be done. In researching offsite backup services/companies, I've read some older posts on KeepVault. Can anyone recommend KeepVault or another provider? (Not sure do-it-yourself solutions are appropriate here--that backup needs to physically offsite from the WHS system and client PCs.)

Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:07 AM

Answers

• One of the cloud based services has recently decided to bow out of the WHS market, I believe. (I don't recall which one.) Another has decided to raise their prices quite significantly.

In general I don't like cloud-based backup. This is not becuase it doesn't back your data up. It certainly does that, if at a premium price. :) However, consider the problem of restoring the backup. The backup isn't usually onerous because it's incremental. However, how long will it take to restore a significant amount of data through your internet connection? In the case of the average home user, it could take many hours or days. Your best answer is the traditional IT solution to this issue: You run your backup, then someone physically takes it off-site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by AJMcS Friday, January 16, 2009 1:53 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:27 PM

All replies

• I have heard a few people talk about http://mozy.com/. It looks like it would work well if you have a high speed connection.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:17 PM
  • One of the cloud based services has recently decided to bow out of the WHS market, I believe. (I don't recall which one.) Another has decided to raise their prices quite significantly.

In general I don't like cloud-based backup. This is not becuase it doesn't back your data up. It certainly does that, if at a premium price. :) However, consider the problem of restoring the backup. The backup isn't usually onerous because it's incremental. However, how long will it take to restore a significant amount of data through your internet connection? In the case of the average home user, it could take many hours or days. Your best answer is the traditional IT solution to this issue: You run your backup, then someone physically takes it off-site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by AJMcS Friday, January 16, 2009 1:53 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Your final solution will really be driven by business requirements. Where I work we typically do a Business Impact Assessment (BIA) for each environment we support. As part of the BIA we define what an acceptable Mean Time To Recovery (MTTR) should be. It is important to capture this information because the expectations among your different users are always different when it comes to recovery.

Unfortunately, in the end, budgeting constraints usually end up being the major factor in the decision making process. However, if your users are requiring a very short MTTR then they will have to realize that it comes at a cost!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Thanks Mike and Ken. In light of your comments I reviewed our plans and concluded that Ken's "traditional IT solution" meets our needs best. Reminds me of the good old days when we took turns taking home the backup disk pack from the DEC VAX 100 system. Well almost :) Cheers!

Friday, January 16, 2009 1:52 AM