Can't find new folders in video share folder RRS feed

• Question

• I created 3 new folders in my shared video folder for some home videos. when i go to view them from a win 7 pc or xbox the old folders are there but the new ones are no where to be found??? now i can see and access them if i go the route of \\server\videos on the pc but if i try to acccess with windows media player or the xbox nada... any help would be of great help :)

Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:36 AM

All replies

• Try rebooting your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:40 AM
  • The xbox and media player don't view the files directly they use UPNP/DNLA compliant access to a media server.  Hence you will have to instruct the media server to rebuild the database or wait a while until this happens automatically.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Z-Ice Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:12 PM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Thanks Al :)

Now how do i instruct the server to rebuild the database? any info would be highly appreciated :)

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Well it depends which media server you are using - if you tell us that would help.
    --
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Sorry, built it myself.

Windows Home Server With Power Pack 3

Ecs 945GCT-M

Intel Dual Core E2200 @ 2.20 GHz

2g ram

Western Digital Carviar green 1TB x3

and here is the version info

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:26 PM
  • I meant software wise.  Have you installed a media server?  I guess you've just used the default media server built in then?  There is a document on the Media Connect at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5A474540-3F02-4E8D-88D7-E9B793A6403F&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

It may be because you are trying to view files that are not supported by the media server.

--
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:08 AM
  • I have noticed this very often with my whs - xbox360 setup. Most of the time it's because of the lack of codec support. I did manage to get some more files workinging by installing ffdshow on the server, however as you know, remote desktop is not supported...

I will try to use TVersity to fix this soon (using transcoding), but I have some conflicts with µtorrent on win 7 clients and whs network shares to solve first.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:14 AM
  • BTW, I should probably mention the most obvious part. The folder will not show up on the xbox unless you have any supported media files in the folder.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:16 AM