Issue on project server excel service report , need to show the data in excel as per the logged user role(ex: PM) RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know about excel service report in project server 2010.
    If i create a project progress report which includes risks,issues,milestone and project details.
    My problem is the data is not displaying by role base, Its displaying all projects.  So that the project managers, who is accessing the report can view all other project's reports and details. 
    So how can i achieve the role-base view  in excel services report.
    Is there any option to create a project progress report in PWA site (OOTB) without using BI.
    Kindly help me.. i am in big trouble..

SharePoint Module Lead Assyst International Private Ltd Cochin India

Friday, March 21, 2014 7:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, 

Did you put in place a security model based on the RBS? If you did so, users in Excel Services reports will only see data (projects and resources) they have visibility on, depending on the categories configuration versus RBS.

Concerning OOTB  progress report, I'd suggest to create a project view accessible from the project center with % complete, baseline information, earned value indicators and any relevant project custom fields.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Thanks for your reply..

I am creating the reports in Excel pivot-table using excel service.

Here i am just showing the excel pivot table report in Excel Web Acees webpart.

How can i achieve the "in place a security model" in Excel report... Not using RBS.

please advice me ...

Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Hi Shuhaib,

The most effective way to achieve that would be to put in place categories and/or RBS based security model. You could also consider using department feature evenif it is not a security feature.

See reference here: http://epmxperts.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/managing-security-in-project-server-part-ii-rbs-vs-categories/

Then of course it could be also achievable programmably, but I'll let my colleagues answer.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Hi Guillaume Rouyre

I think you referring the views and displays rendering in Project server Out of the box reports.

In my case, I read the data from PS report database by SQL query(ODC/OLEDB).

So the entire data is rendering into the excel pivot table. How can we filter the data by logged user role in EXCEL report using RBS.

Do we need to move  SSRS BI reports..? to solve this..

This is also another thread discussing the same issue.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a31ddb9e-bbe8-45b7-bf70-56ff98dd0f9f/ps-2010-bi-excel-service-reports-report-data-by-logged-in-user?forum=projectserver2010general

Please advise me..

Thanks a lot..

Monday, March 24, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Hi Shuhaib,

I'm not a developer so maybe my colleagues will be able to give you more information about this.

But as far as I read, you could achieve this easily:

• Using SSRS,
    • Using your Excel report in Performance Point with a filter on the project owner and pulling the user account
    • Creating different reports by role

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Hi Guillaume Rouyre,

Thanks...

can you please connect or pass this to your colleagues who have worked in this scenario .

It will be great to me...

Thank you..

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:25 PM
  • You're welcome Shuhaib,

However by "colleagues" I meant the other experts from this forum. Hopefully some of them will be able to provide you the answer you're expecting.

Cheers.

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Hello,

See this article - for 2007 but the same principle applies for 2010 / 2013:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee862408.aspx

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

• Marked as answer by PWMatherMVP Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:20 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 2:08 PM
  • Many many Thanks Paul,

Let me try it out..

Monday, March 24, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Hi Paul Mather,

But this is for SSRS reporting .. Right..? I am using EXCEL service reports with OLEDB/ODC connection.

I have just created and implemented the RBS with Project server security.

But the result is same.. Getting all the data from reporting DB. I need to get the data as per the logged user role..

Is this possible using excel service...?

Pls......

Thanks in Advance.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:36 AM
  • Hello,

You need to consume the PSI to get the project list of available projects as this takes into account what projects the user has access to. As far as I know you cant do this in Excel, you will need SSRS or custom dev work.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:38 AM
  • Hi Paul Mather,

Thanks for your valuable comments..

One thing i need to know, how can we do this using custom dev works..

any reference..?

Thanks

Shuhaib KC

Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:41 AM