none
Pre upgrade backup RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded my wife's PC from XP Home to Windows 7 Professional. I understood this was a clean install and had all the programs lined up to reinstall. I had thought I was in great shape for restoring her files since I had a whole string of backups on my WHS. After the upgrade, though, I couldn't open any of the XP backups. I noticed a thread on another discussion that gave some ideas about switching the GUID, and this all worked well except the XP backups still won't open. They go to the end and then I get "/Z: drive not accessible". Investigating I found that the license agreement actually does state that the backups are good for only the PC they were created on, but this is in fact the exact same PC with only the OS changed. 
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:43 PM

Answers

• You can try restoring the entire backup to a new drive, using either the Restore CD or running the program C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe on a computer that's joined to your server. This program is the same as the Restore CD, just hosted in a full Windows environment.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by old Norm Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:04 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:19 PM

All replies

• I just upgraded my wife's PC from XP Home to Windows 7 Professional. I understood this was a clean install and had all the programs lined up to reinstall. I had thought I was in great shape for restoring her files since I had a whole string of backups on my WHS. After the upgrade, though, I couldn't open any of the XP backups. I noticed a thread on another discussion that gave some ideas about switching the GUID, and this all worked well except the XP backups still won't open. They go to the end and then I get "/Z: drive not accessible". Investigating I found that the license agreement actually does state that the backups are good for only the PC they were created on, but this is in fact the exact same PC with only the OS changed. 
    Yes, you should be able to open those backups from that client (or any other client for that matter).  Can you open any backups from that client?  Have you tried opening your XP backups from a different client?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Thanks for getting back on this. I got taken up in Thanksgiving! I tried to open the XP backups on that same machine after it was upgraded to Windows 7 and also on a vista machine. It gave the same error message on both. "/Z: drive not accessible"  The z: drive was visible from My Computer but couldn't be opened. I tried to change the security properties of it and it was not possible - said that it was write protected.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:40 PM
  • You can try restoring the entire backup to a new drive, using either the Restore CD or running the program C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe on a computer that's joined to your server. This program is the same as the Restore CD, just hosted in a full Windows environment.
    • Marked as answer by old Norm Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:04 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Thanks! Great idea.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:05 PM
  • I hope it works. There's a chance that the issue you're experiencing is due to a corrupted backup database, in which case it might not work.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:11 PM