M4V files stream to xbox360 from Vista/7 but not WHS?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have some M4V format movies that I can stream to my xbox360 from my Vista and Windows 7 PCs but if I copy those same files to my WHS it cannot play them.  It usually does show them in the list but gives a generic error when I try to play it.

I suspect the WHS just doesnt understand the file type or perhaps a codec issue but not sure how to fix it. Renaming the files to MP4 or AVI does not help, it still will not play them.
    • Edited by jtzako Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:15 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:14 PM

All replies

• You need to install the proper codecs to stream the files. It should be able to stream properly to the computers if you set up the Windows Media Connector. You can also try installing the ffdshow codec pack .
    • Edited by kingslaye505 Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:27 PM link was broken
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:22 PM
  • How would I find a codec that will install on the WHS ?  I dont want to stream TO the computers, its streaming from a computer to the xbox 360.

It only Fails in WHS.  The other PCs can do it fine, with the same files so whatever is missing, its missing from WHS.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:25 PM
  • I installed the K-Lite Mega Codec pack on that site a few days ago but that didnt help.  I will give the ffdshow pack a try if nobody else has a reason why this might be an issue.  I would think a MEDIA PC would be able to play all types of popular media files right out of the box.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Setup both the Media Center Connector and install Media Player 11 on the WHS machine. From the share folders you should be able to stream to any computer/Xbox 360 on your network. The problem is that the connector that you use for streaming does not support a large variety of formats, which is where Media Player and ffdshow come into play.

Here's a guide for installing Media Player 11

You install ffdshow in a similar way. Download the Windows XP x86 file (the top one from the link above) and remote desktop into the server to install it. Both work (I have tried them both, and I use ffdshow extensively)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:35 PM
  • The only machine I leave on is the WHS, so I really dont want to have to stream via another PC.  I DO have MP 11 on the WHS box using the instructions from that page. Unfortunately that did not help. WHS still would not stream those videos.
    I will try the ffdshow and see how that works out.  So far nothing else has worked and I'm about ready to delete WHS in favor of an OS that works.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:23 PM
  • What do you mean by "Does not stream the videos"? To stream them to another computer, you need to have some player (I recommend VLC) on the computer. Go into the shared folder where the files you want to stream is and run it on the computer you wish to stream to. It will stream like that.

To stream to your Xbox 360 you need to enable the Media Connector .

Here is a guide to do that.

If you want to stream to any computer and many smart phones through the internet, you can use Orb.

A guide to do that is here.

Hopefully this answers any questions you have about streaming from your WHS.

Good luck with this.
    • Proposed as answer by kingslaye505 Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:31 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:31 PM
  • You are not understanding the problem I think.

The videos are in a folder on the computer.  I access those videos using the xbox 360.  The computer 'streams' them to the xbox 360 so they can be viewed on my tv.

If I do this and the videos are on a vista/win 7 box it works fine..  However, those very same videos will not work if accessed from the WHS computer.  I do have SOME videos that work from the WHS.  Those are native AVI/MP4 files.  Its just the M4V that will not work from that box.

I have installed the ffdshow but I'm not entirely certain what to do with it.  It did not change anything as far as being able to play the M4V files.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Oh, you're right, I did misunderstand the problem, I thought you stored them on the WHS and wanted to stream them elsewhere. What you are saying is that the WHS should receive and then play the files, right?

The WHS is intended to be a headless (without monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard) device and not an actual workstation. You're not recommended to use it otherwise.

Now that I've given the disclaimer, it's fairly easy to solve your problem. You will want to remote into your server and install VLC player [Link] . Before installing this, you should probably uninstall ffdshow (sorry for making you install so many programs, VLC player will work). Now you'll be able to play almost every file that you throw at the server (I use VLC and haven't found a file it can't play yet).

My apologies for not understanding sooner.
    • Proposed as answer by kingslaye505 Friday, August 28, 2009 12:52 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:52 AM
  • No, WHS is the storage location, and the xbox 360 connects to it in order to play the videos.

The MP4 videos, and AVI videos I have work fine, but the M4V videos (apple format I believe) do not.

If I move those videos to a Vista or Win7 box they DO play so I know the xbox360 can do it.

Also of note, even with MP 11 on the WHS box it cannot play the M4V files itself which I think leads to it not being able to stream them over to the xbox.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:08 PM
  • M4V files are supported by the Media Connector on the WHS as of PP2. Have you updated the server to PP2?

I'm guessing that you use iTunes on your other computers to play these videos. Installing Quicktime on the server may fix this error for you. You should check that your server is fully updated first though.

From the Power Pack 2 Documentation:
    Content that is stored on your home server and that is shared via Windows Media Connect, including files with extensions .mp4, .m4v, .m4b and .m4a, now appears in the music or video library with title, artist, composer, album, and genre metadata.[Full Download]
    • Edited by kingslaye505 Friday, August 28, 2009 2:20 PM Updated with Microsoft Documentation
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:14 PM
  • I didnt manually install PP2 but according to the console I have it.  The # is 2030 which I believe indicates PP2.

I had seen that info as well that said it supports M4V but for whatever reason it still wont play them.  On my other PCs, I can play them directly in WMP but I usually dont, most of the time if I watch these videos its via the xbox 360 streaming over my LAN.

I may try installing quicktime, but I dont think the WMC would use quicktime codecs when sending the info to the xbox.

If I could reinstall WHS without having it delete my data I would give that a shot but short of that I may have to get rid of it.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Ok, two more questions.

1. It just occured to me that the files might have DRM protection on them. Did you download them from iTunes?
    2. Do you have an OEM machine or is your server custom built?
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:50 PM
  • No DRM, they are videos I made myself for the most part. This is a custom machine. Again, they work fine if put on a box other than WHS.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Very simple, as long as you convert m4v format  to xbox. You will use m4v converter, to search a new m4v converter. They can be a very good conversion m4v format and cracked DRM. For example brso m4v converter.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:55 AM