Oct. 23 Advisory2.5.0.5 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Oct. 23 Advisory2.5.0.5

MS08-644 was downloaded and installed on my PC yesterday afternoon ,

and this morning OneCare still tells me my PC is at risk !

Cut and Pasted from my PC Update History this morning .

Security Update for Windows (KB958644)

Installation date: ‎10/‎23/‎2008 1:45 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Fix for KB958644

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=958644

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

This morning One Care Tells me MY PC is at risk .

I have the same problem as others with OneCare still reporting ,

"This PC needs your attention, To view latest One Care advisories ..... ( click )

What do I do now ?

Regards ,

BobH

Friday, October 24, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Bob,

I have the same issue as you but as my report suggested it's an ongoing problem, after downloading the update, I assume my computer is secure. The Advisory link will likely remain active for a while within the OneCare dialogue box until everything's fully resolved. If your Status is "Good" with a green OneCare image, best, I think, not to panic. Microsoft might like to update the OneCare software users with a message telling us we are protected! I'm just thankful for the warning and being able to get the update.

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:44 PM

All replies

•  Bob Heron wrote:

Oct. 23 Advisory2.5.0.5

MS08-644 was downloaded and installed on my PC yesterday afternoon ,

and this morning OneCare still tells me my PC is at risk !

Cut and Pasted from my PC Update History this morning .

Security Update for Windows (KB958644)

Installation date: ‎10/‎23/‎2008 1:45 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Fix for KB958644

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=958644

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

This morning One Care Tells me MY PC is at risk .

I have the same problem as others with OneCare still reporting ,

"This PC needs your attention, To view latest One Care advisories ..... ( click )

What do I do now ?

Regards ,

BobH

I called Microsoft OneCare Support on phone, spent about an hour on my PC and they do not have a clue

what is causing problem either ... They gave me a new case number and said the case is being refered to a High Level Tech for review and they will do a call back tomorrow ...........

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I have the same issue as you but as my report suggested it's an ongoing problem, after downloading the update, I assume my computer is secure. The Advisory link will likely remain active for a while within the OneCare dialogue box until everything's fully resolved. If your Status is "Good" with a green OneCare image, best, I think, not to panic. Microsoft might like to update the OneCare software users with a message telling us we are protected! I'm just thankful for the warning and being able to get the update.

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Hi...
    My Live One Care has also told me the same thing: Ref Bulletin MS08-067 for KB956844.
    I used IE Tools to go to Windows Update and downloaded two updates, neither of which
    appears to have bee KB956844
    I checked all my updates, and there is no mention of KB958644 as having been installed.
    I am running VISTA Home Premium.
    My Live One Care continues to indicate that I need to update the security patch identified
    by Bulletin MS08_067.
    Is my PC at risk?
    Thanks.
    Penny L
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Dear mostlysunny,

Run a check - You and I are both running WinVista Home Prem so it's simple. Open "Windows Update". Click the link on the left-hand panel to see a list of updates. KB956844 should be the second one on the list, right at the top and you should have installed it either yesterday (23/10/08) or today (24/10/08).

WLOC will keep the link requesting that you check their Advisory page. Once Microsoft are completely happy that they've secured everyone, perhaps they'll then remove it from the software, however, I wouldn't mind if it stayed on mine. It's a simple way to access the online site. For now, do the check, as I've just described. I just did it becase I thought I didn't have that update, too!If you find it, sit back, relax and say something like "Thumbs up, Microsoft!"

I'm quite confident now, having done my own check. Hope you find your update, otherwise, if not, get it in the usual manner. I'm absolutely convinced you'll get it if you haven't already. Good luck.

Friday, October 24, 2008 7:04 PM
  • I saw this message from OneCare as soon as I turned on my machine this morning. I am very thanful for this message and one of the reasons why I just love OneCare. It does the job perfectly and silently. I would not have known about the criticality of the update if I did not see this message.

OneCare is GREEN now and protecting my machine. Great Job OneCare!!!

Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:17 AM
  •  mostlysunny wrote:
    Hi...
    My Live One Care has also told me the same thing: Ref Bulletin MS08-067 for KB956844.
    I used IE Tools to go to Windows Update and downloaded two updates, neither of which
    appears to have bee KB956844
    I checked all my updates, and there is no mention of KB958644 as having been installed.
    I am running VISTA Home Premium.
    My Live One Care continues to indicate that I need to update the security patch identified
    by Bulletin MS08_067.
    Is my PC at risk?
    Thanks.
    Penny L

I have installed that KB958644 patch on mine but that message is still showing on my OneCare - "This PC needs your attention. To take action, view the latest OneCare advisories." I use the 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium.

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Dear All,

Today is the 28th and I've just switched on at 15:34, UK (GMT) time. The "Alert" has only just come off my computer! Suggestion: check your updates page again for the KB958644 patch. If it's there, go into OneCare and check its report. 32-bit Vista should now have it removed. Best thing to do if you're running 64-bit, I would suggest, is to make sure you grab the patch first from Microsoft's Update site if you're certain you haven't got it. Install it and see what happens to your Report Status in OneCare. I personally would dare to reboot to see if the Alert finally gets jogged off WLOC but if you're not that brave, contact Microsoft for more info.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:37 PM