none
Broken "threads" link on right side menu. RRS feed

• Question

• The link on the right side menu that points to "<username>'s threads" is broken, when the username is similar to mine. A few lines below that link is the "My Threads" link, which is working fine.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:03 PM

Answers

• (U+00fc =>%25u00fc) instead of UTF-8 (%c3%bc)

It also appears that the leading numeric escape char "%" got converted to its numeric equivalent "%25".

I looked it up.  So-called "percent encoding" (or "url encoding") uses UTF-8 in general.  That is the standard since 2005.  But a non-standard standard exists which permits four-digit unicode to be expressed in a url with this encoding:  "%uxxxx", which is probably equivalent to "%25uxxxx".  I tried substituting %u00FC into Livio's url, but it still didn't work.

There's some mention in Wikipedia's article that ECMA-script (amusingly pronounced as eczema in some circles) still defines the non-standard unicode conversion function escape().  (Compare with UTF-8 compatible encodeURI()).   So I'll take a long shot guess that the dev's confused the two functions somewhere in this bug.

Sheng Jiang recently posted a similar Unicode issue here.

How come there's sometimes a double-survey on these pages?  It looks funny.

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:51 PM

All replies

• Both links work for me.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Both working for me as well.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:09 AM
  • I think the OP indicated that the problem may be related with this unusual name consisting of some weird letters.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:24 AM
  • Yes.
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:45 PM

• Well, there is a subtle difference for me too.

Under my extra-large avatar in the right column, the link to my threads is:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=idle+curiosity

Whereas beneath that in the right column, My Threads gives this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=idle%20curiosity

Can you show us what you're getting, Monster?

Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Good catch, idle. I have the same problem too, although both work for me.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Also, I don't have that problem on this page, but in the thread listing page (forum page, not thread page).
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:04 PM
  • For me Livio von Büren's threads doesn't work (original link copied from Properties, when clicking on the link.

My Threads instead does.

I used the same options for both links. The upper link opens a new tab, the below link opens the link in the same tab.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:43 AM
  • This is the answer:

The translation of the username is wrong. I take Livio von Büren’s as an example because my alias is too complicated.

In the broken link his alias is translated to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Livio+von+B%25u00fcren. Let’s take the user-parameter: Livio+von+B%25u00fcren. There you will see, that the letter ü has been replaced by %25u00fc. If you have a look at the following table, you will find the solution. The character has been translated to unicode (U+00fc => %25u00fc) instead of UTF-8 (%c3%bc).

Character Unicode Unicode binary UTF-8 binary UTF-8 hexadezimal
    ü
    U+00fc 00000000 11111100 11000011 10111100  %C3%BC

• Edited by ϻοϰsϯεr Monday, February 25, 2013 11:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by ϻοϰsϯεr Monday, February 25, 2013 11:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ϻοϰsϯεr Monday, February 25, 2013 11:50 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Livio von Büren Monday, February 25, 2013 12:32 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Please do not mark this an answer, I believe Microsoft staff could possibly overlook this issue, if it is marked as answered!
    Monday, February 25, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Propably proposing the answer makes it more clear for the admins.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:33 PM
  • And yes you're right. These links work:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Livio+von+B%C3%BCren

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Livio%20von%20B%C3%BCren

• Edited by Livio von Büren Monday, February 25, 2013 12:43 PM Added "Open in new tab" to the links.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 12:42 PM
  • lol, tanks. I forgot to post the full working link :) Thanks for doing so.

@Microsoft staff: Please … never mark a reply as answered, if does not absolulety apply or if it is just useless troubleshooting gibberish. (I say that for a reason, because you regularly mark absolutely useless replies as answers. Sometimes a problem is hard to solve, or not ata ll, and therefor stays without answer. That is sad for everyone, but *you* must accept that fact!

Monday, February 25, 2013 1:13 PM
  • (U+00fc =>%25u00fc) instead of UTF-8 (%c3%bc)

It also appears that the leading numeric escape char "%" got converted to its numeric equivalent "%25".

I looked it up.  So-called "percent encoding" (or "url encoding") uses UTF-8 in general.  That is the standard since 2005.  But a non-standard standard exists which permits four-digit unicode to be expressed in a url with this encoding:  "%uxxxx", which is probably equivalent to "%25uxxxx".  I tried substituting %u00FC into Livio's url, but it still didn't work.

There's some mention in Wikipedia's article that ECMA-script (amusingly pronounced as eczema in some circles) still defines the non-standard unicode conversion function escape().  (Compare with UTF-8 compatible encodeURI()).   So I'll take a long shot guess that the dev's confused the two functions somewhere in this bug.

Sheng Jiang recently posted a similar Unicode issue here.

How come there's sometimes a double-survey on these pages?  It looks funny.

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:51 PM
  • The correct url for the op should be:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=%CF%BB%CE%BF%CF%B0s%CF%AF%CE%B5r

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Any news, maybe from MS staff?

@Microsoft staff: Please … never mark a reply as answered, if does not absolulety apply or if it is just useless troubleshooting gibberish. (I say that for a reason, because you regularly mark absolutely useless replies as answers. Sometimes a problem is hard to solve, or not ata ll, and therefor stays without answer. That is sad for everyone, but *you* must accept that fact!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:33 PM
  • I submitted this as a bug request.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:40 PM
    Owner
  • UPDATE: The forums team has bug #1173627 and bug #1153583 to track this issue. They identified it as an HTML encoding issue. An obvious workaround is to change the display name.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:17 AM
    Owner